Discussion about technical issues and upgrades to 22 TCM firearms
By skwatch
#3663 How about 9x23 Winchester as a third caliber for our pistols. It shares the .223/5.56 parent case with the .22 TCM so that should simplify several issues. I bet someone out there has done this or is working on it. If so, I'd love to hear about results. This came up on the .38 Super development thread, but it probably deserves a separate discussion.
By MANual_puller
#3666 Interesting. Was doing some digging to compare 9x23 and 38super. Didn't know 9x23 wasn't straight wall case, it's tapered. Functionally, 38super is going to be a better choice for me even if it takes more parts and money than a 9x23 conversion. Maybe I'll just save my pennies for a 10mm......hmmmmm........ :D
By skwatch
#3669 I agree. It should be so easy, I am wondering what I am missing. I understand there are reasons you may prefer .38 Super. But the 9x23 Win. sounds like it has impressive ballistics and would be an easy add on. Looks like you would probably be stuck with handloading unless the 9x23 has a resurgence. But handloading is not a show stopper. FYI:http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/cartridge-review-9x23-winchester/
By MANual_puller
#3671 Looking at ballistics and comparing the cases, 9x23 should be at least as effective as 38super. Problem is Iowa hunting regs don't allow 9x23 but 38super is approved. I actually don't understand why 9x19 isn't allowed. There's some really good 9mm+p out there that would work just as well as .40s&w which is approved. Cuz guvment I guess.... If I were going to build one for ccw or range toy I would consider 9x23 just because the conversion itself seems easier and more economical.
By Bob Clevenger
#15006 I just finished (crossing fingers -- one is never "finished" building a firearm) building a 9x23 Win. upper for my .22 TCM/9mm TAC Ultra MS HC. I used an Armscor 9mm slide and a Fusion Arms 9x23 Win. bull barrel and a full-length guide rod. The small parts for the slide came mostly from Fusion via eBay. I am using a 20 lb. recoil spring as I load my 9x23 ammo at least as hot as factory Winchester. I aim for 1500 fps with a 124 gr. XTP bullet out of the 4.25" barrel. I had the usual amount of "tuning" to do to fit everything. As well as 9x23 Win. it also fires .38 Super just fine. This little MS is ridiculously accurate -- the first time out to the range I fired nine rounds at a full-size B-27 target and 8 were in the X-ring with the ninth just outside it. All nine were within a 2" circle. :) This was only at about ten yards, but it is better than I usually shoot -- by quite a bit.

So that's what I have now, a RIA TAC Ultra MS that can use four different calibres, one of which gives .357 Magnum level ballistics and does it with fine accuracy. I had to buy all my parts new as I don't have a stash of 1911 spares, so it cost me about $500 to make the second upper. Not the cheapest option, but versatile -- and I don't have to re-adjust the sights when I go from .22 TCM to 9x23 Win. and vice-versa.