Discussion about technical issues and upgrades to 22 TCM firearms
By 1911SHOOTER
wood chucker wrote:can I throw my 2¢ in here ?

The original .38 Super loading of 1929 was a 130 grain RN stepping out the muzzle at 1,300 fps. Pretty zippy and impressive by any standard,

Factory .38 Super ammo is was and has been loaded a bit lighter since shortly after it came out. In standard 1911A1's it's always run like a champ

Factory .38 Super fodder and similar hand loads have always been 100% dead nuts all day long reliable in my plain vanilla factory single stacks and all the other like ones I ever seen or heard of. I don't know exactly why it gets the reputation of the rim causing feeding problems.

IIRC the buzz about the rim started about the same time IPSC shooters were trying to make major power factor with it. Maybe it was the bullet shapes for the weights they were using. Maybe it was the tightened up custom guns. Maybe it was that they were seating the bullets as far out as they could to reduce pressure spikes. Maybe it was the recoil springs, the double stack mags, the magazine springs or muzzle compensators they were using. Maybe it was a combination of all the above.

So where am I going with this ? The .38 Super (and it's ballistic twins .38 Super Comp and 9x21 ) makes a good hard hitting, flat shooting general purpose and trail round. If that sort of thing appeals to you, you got options on how to "get there from here".

Wood Chucker,
I agree, I have never had a problem with my 2 Super .38s, mag problems maybe, but with a good mag both my guns
rock and roll all day long. Only mag that gave me a problem was a MecGar. Got a new one, and no problem.
By 1911SHOOTER
mahesh1994 wrote:Doing more research and I found some photos of an old Spanish manual for the Llama Extra. The manual's cover says MANUAL PISTOLA LLAMA EXTRA MOD VII VIII. CAL 9 MM.38 SUPER.

mahesh1994,
I had a technician who reloaded my offensive Super .38 loads, they were fabulous, never had a bad load.
Sadly, he was killed in a highway accident, and I had never thought to get the load numbers from him.
I have 8 loads left, and I only carry them when I carry my RIA Super .38. If I have to shoot some thug
with them, I am gonna be really chapped!.
Blackie
By mozeppa
#13652 i was told that the parent case for 22TCM is .223 ....if that is true then why is there a 2/1000"
difference in the rim diameters?

why couldn't you cut .223 brass down like they do for 300 blackout ...only cut to 38 super comp length. and run it like that?

would there be further case forming to do, or bullet mods to adjust for?

is the modified case that i just described the exact same as a 38 super comp...or the exact same as a 9x23 case?
By Old Gun Nut
#13654 The 38 Super case is .378" at the web. 223 case is .371. (measurements from cases I have on hand) You could probably make cases from 223 cases, but I would think that during firing in a standard 38 Super chamber , the case is going to expand just above the web enough to cause metal fatigue which leads to case separation. 38 Super comp cases seem quite reasonably priced compared to cutting, sizing, reaming a 223 case and then only getting one or two loads out of it because of case separation.
By mozeppa
#14074 there is a "rimless" .38 super comp case that is .900 " long and is .394" wide across the rim
and .347 wide at the extractor.

9mm measures also .394 and .347.

so i'm thinking a .38 super comp barrel and slide spring to match would work.

if i'm wrong ....someone tell me why!
By Old Gun Nut
#14096 mozeppa, this is my post from back on page 5 of this thread:
Just to up date this thread a bit, 38 Super is VERY doable with the TCM platform. I got a Swenson barrel from Midway; along with a barrel bushing, link and pin. After some filing, polishing and fitting, I have a very reliable 38 Super 1911 A2. Got the Starline 38 Super comp brass .The double-stack magazines feed perfectly, ejector leaves my cases about 4-5ft to my right at about 3 o'clock. Started with some mid range loads to test function and it worked! I also put in a 14 lb Wolff spring and since have shot 200+ rounds of top end loads thru it with minimal problems. Had to do some additional polishing to get Hornady HAP bullets to feed reliably, but any round nose from 115 to 135 grains has fed great from the get-go.
So, again, yes , a 38 super barrel and 38 Super comp brass work.
By 1911SHOOTER
Old Gun Nut wrote:mozeppa, this is my post from back on page 5 of this thread:
Just to up date this thread a bit, 38 Super is VERY doable with the TCM platform. I got a Swenson barrel from Midway; along with a barrel bushing, link and pin. After some filing, polishing and fitting, I have a very reliable 38 Super 1911 A2. Got the Starline 38 Super comp brass .The double-stack magazines feed perfectly, ejector leaves my cases about 4-5ft to my right at about 3 o'clock. Started with some mid range loads to test function and it worked! I also put in a 14 lb Wolff spring and since have shot 200+ rounds of top end loads thru it with minimal problems. Had to do some additional polishing to get Hornady HAP bullets to feed reliably, but any round nose from 115 to 135 grains has fed great from the get-go.

Old Gun Nut,
Did your .38 Super barrel have a para/clark ramp? Also, what slide did you use? The .38 Super cartridge will
not feed to the TCM slide.
Blackie
By Old Gun Nut
1911SHOOTER wrote:

Old Gun Nut,
Did your .38 Super barrel have a para/clark ramp? Also, what slide did you use? The .38 Super cartridge will
Blackie

The Swenson barrel has a para/clark ramp. I use the TCM slide..... no modifications. The 38 Super using Starline comp brass feeds, shoots and ejects perfectly. I use a 14 or 16 lb Wolff Spring. This is with the 5 inch barrel, full size , 17 round model.
By 1911SHOOTER
Old Gun Nut wrote:
1911SHOOTER wrote:

Old Gun Nut,
Blackie

The Swenson barrel has a para/clark ramp. I use the TCM slide..... no modifications. The 38 Super using Starline comp brass feeds, shoots and ejects perfectly. I use a 14 or 16 lb Wolff Spring. This is with the 5 inch barrel, full size , 17 round model.

My 1911 TCM slide will not feed the .38 Super cartridge. The rim is too wide. The cartridge feeds up half way then stops.
My .38 super barrel from my 1911A1 .38 Super did drop into the slide though. This mixture of parts functions well,
but the slide will not accept the .38 Super cartridgge. My 1911 TCM is less than 2 years old. it is a HI-Cap model.
I took the slide off the frame and tried to get the .38 Super cartridge to feed up into the slot. no luck.