Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By RGRacing
#15024 Thanks for your interest and help - These are the 3rd reload - I did find two of my 50 with cracked necks - During the seating phase. OAL of the brass never varied (1.030).

I have chamfered the mouth just a tad - manually. Seating is an art I am mastering, tried something other than fingers and no love. Need to feel the bullet and let go , seat ever so carful while jiggling the charging bar. So far seems to be working. I did have a couple bullets shave a little copper but only two or three. I marked them with a XX - all other are charged from 10.6 to 11.0 - I make each one so far and allow my Lee Powder dropper to do what it does - 10.6 to 10.8 and then I upped it a tad from 10.8 to 11.0.
Images are sized to 800x??? - hope they help.

By Pakn1911
#15026 I have been reloading the TCM for some time now. Been through the stuck in chamber brass and split neck also. I use the Lee press also with the 4 hole turret. In the first hole I have the decapper sizer die, second is the powder through die, third hole is the Lee universal flare die and then the fourth is the Lee FCD. If you use the flare die to just flare the neck just a bit you don't have to worry about shaving the copper or your fingers. the FCD will bring that flare back in but don't screw the FCD down too far or it will flare the shoulder of your case and then your slide will not go into battery. After you set up your FCD be sure to do the plunk test after the first few. All you want to do is bring back in the flare after seating the bullet.

Good luck.

TM
By ralloway
#15029 Thanks for posting the photos!

Sadly, I'm not seeing anything obvious (to me) that would explain the tumbling based on the appearance of your handloaded rounds.

Sorrry... :(
By RGRacing
#15030 Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die $14.99 - Midway - I may look locally - I have a Reloading shop close - it looks like a common component. I reload for 380 ACP, 9mm, 357Sig, 40 S&W, 38/357, 45 ACP and now 22 TCM and have all Lee Dies. All but the 357 Sig were the Deluxe 4 die sets w/FCD. All Expand case mouths during Priming and Powder drop except 22 TCM. I am still getting my Sea Legs ... But the question of a perfect bullet seat is critical and this Expanding Die may be a good addition. Damn 5 Dies for the little bastard - LOL

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure dropping thru a flexible tube and to the powder dies. I use a rigged plastic cup to catch the powder trickle from the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. So far I have used Hodgens CFE, Bullseye and Accurate No 9 . H110 leaks like a sieve. Any better choices with other Powder Droppers. I'm thinking Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure -

I'll be testing these newest hotter rounds maybe this week yet -

Thanks again and it's nice to see some TCM activity.
By RGRacing
#15064 Here is the Turkey Day Black Friday Update -
I visited my local reloading shop here in Minnesota - I was presented with No Lee Universal Expanders and some advise to look at the Lyman Neck Expander M Die - (22 Hornet) - $20.95.

It was hammered into me that this is it and the 22 TCM is an aboration of a Cartridge. I was an Idiot for listing to anyone here and the internet is horrible for reloaders - Oh well I survived and took the "M" Die home - It is mint -
I was able to case mouth expand the last 1/16" and set the bullet into the brass after power drop waiting for seating and FCD.

Not a sliver or brass or any cracked necks. It also sizes the inside neck one more time which allowed me to place the bullet into the brass and when seating I could literally press the bullet home no hands.

Bad news is my 10.6gr ladder to 11.0 , factory bullet and "M" die and FCD still show some erratic tumbling -
Today the range was a Zoo - shot 30 and took off. - Only lost 1 piece of brass - Paper plates did not lie - 7 tumbled to a degree.

So I'm at the is it a Powder Load issue - My 10.5 to 11.0 of H110 is a lower big boom compared to Factory Ammo. Chrono'ing will have to wait till Summer.

Not giving up - just readjusting my sights -

5 Dies / One round - I will get this - 4.25" 22TCM -
By RGRacing
#15087 Lyman Neck Expander M Die - (22 Hornet) - I'm still a fan - Seems to do a nice job - any others use this ?
I also just received my Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure - Going to break it in today -
I'm dropping to a funnel, thru the Lee powder Die. Hope it does a better job with H110.

I'll post a pic - right now I have a Rube Goldberg setup and it will need some refinements.
By earlwb
#15088 Well after perusing this thread and reading about your tumbling problem, I am at a loss to explain it too. The only thing I can think of is to measure the diameter of your bullets that you use to reload with. Maybe the bullets are slightly too small in diameter. Anyway, it is a very doubtful long shot of a thought though.
By dungheap
#15089 Using a similar thought, you might try slugging your bore -- perhaps it's too large. With all the other RIA problems that pop up, that would not be out of the realm of possibility.
By DoubleJ
#15092 Are these bullets flat/plain bases, or do they have some sort of boat tail? If they're flat, are you using anything to expand the case mouth before you seat them? Even a beveled base could give you trouble if you're not expanding. Lee has a universal expander die, I use it in 5.7x28, and will be using it for TCM9R once my Poly80 lower gets put together over the next couple weeks. FCD them back down to the proper neck size, make sure they're loaded to max COAL, and maybe you'll be all set.