Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By digitcontrol
#15299 I thought sometime back someone posted about their new tcm brass was neck & shoulder splitting on the first firing.
I purchased about 300pcs of brass a couple years back and have had nearly 40% failure rate.
In a attempt to rectify I tried annealing all the remaining New brass after running it thru sizing die and still have a high failure rate.
I have tried different amounts & brands of powder but it seems to make little difference. It splits in as many as 4 places around the neck & shoulder area.
Did they have a batch of brass with issues?? Anyone else run into this? I have reloaded once fired factory 22tcm brass multiple times before some start to split, but this batch of new brass seems to be the issue.
By pmiya
#15300 I haven't had any issues with split cases and I've reloaded some of the cases 2 or 3 times. I've been using 10.5 gr Winchester 296 for 40 Grain pistol loads and 10.8 gr. of Lil Gun for the rifle.
By dungheap
#15303 I bought a couple hundred rounds of Armscor brass for my rifle, have only used around fifty and have loaded them multiple times, little to no loss. I do neck size only.

Given your dilemma, my next step would be to make a chamber case with Cerrosafe and measure it against your fired brass. Either you have a chamber issue or are somehow creating a resizing issue.
By digitcontrol
#15304 I also have neck sizing die and tried that and they still split. They have also split in my pistol , but factory round usually are fine despite there inconsistency in both guns.
I still recall someone on this forum mentioning having to swap brass back to Ammo Supply Warehouse because of brass that was splitting although it was a few years ago.
Seems when I reload once fired factory brass I do not have the any neck splitting. Only on the new brass I purchased from ASW, about the same time I saw someone else having issues.
I have always thought about chamber casting the rifle just to see how it compares to the pistol as I have been suspect of a problem there. You may have just nudged me enough to do so.
By Pakn1911
#15305 I found what worked for me was to anneal the brass first, resize and then trim to length. I haven't had any more problems with the splitting since. This was done some time back.

TM
By Pakn1911
#15308 Not very scientific but, I used a socket with a screw driver type handle that let the brass set down in it with about the top 1/3 sticking out then used a torch to heat the top while turning it until it starts to turn colors. Once it turns colors then drop it into a pan of water to cool. You might want to add an extension to the screwdriver handle as it will get pretty hot as you go.

Just my way of doing things, others may differ.

TM