Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By earlwb
#5730 My rifle is up in the 66xx number range. I hope they corrected the problem by now. I could have bought a decent .223 bolt action rifle including the scope with money left over for what they charged for this rifle. I haven't had time to take it to the range yet to see what happens.
By dungheap
#5737 By all means, earlwb, give us a range report on your new acquisition. I don't know if I'd expect much out of the factory ammo, at least according to forum reports. Seems it's OK for pistols (a whole different ball game IMO), but with the rifle a guy will likely be a lot better off with carefully tailored handloads, and even better if the loads are made for single feed, unless velocity is not at all important to the handloader. In mine, LilGun, N110 and AA #9 have yielded good accuracy and decent velocities with 35 grain bullets similar to V-max's or the Nosler Varmageddons (I'm using "blemished" bullets from Midsouth, not sure of the manufacturer). seated only about 1/16" into the case.
By earlwb
#5738 My main thought was to use it with reduced power loads. Not a great reduction though. I was concerned with reduced power loads in a .223 as you have a large void in the cartridge case and that increases the risk of ringing occuring in the barrel. or worse you could burst the barrel. But with the smaller case capacity in the 22 TCM then that would be less of a problem then. I was thinking maybe in the 1600 to 1800fps or so velocity range. Then also with cast bullets, down around 1000fps. The idea was a re-loadable replacement for 22 rimfire cartridges should another huge shortage occur. One could use #3 or #4 shotgun buckshot pellets (I forget which one is .22 cal at the moment) with a primer only or maybe 1 or two grains of bullseye for the load. Maybe even .22 pellets too. I might even make a .22 cal conical bullet mold in the 30 to 40 grain range too. Granted a really low power round would likely work in the .223 Ok, but it may be much more erratic with all that empty space inside the cartridge case. The powder charge can move around inside the .223 case resulting in the erratic effects.

But then if the .22 TCM barrel is crappy it is of course a moot point.

One other thought is that I was thinking that Armscor was using 22 LR barrels rechambered for the 22 TCM. Thus the rifling twist rate may not be optimum for a hot running jacketed bullet.
By DrPhilWV
#15167 Who did the rebarreling work? I’m game to rebarrel mine - though I think I may do a 9mm barrel and chamber it in 38 Super. I haven’t checked to see if it fits in the magazine yet, so that might change. Making my own “destroyer carbine”.

Just have tried everything to make that stock barrel shoot and it’s just not acceptable at even 50 yards.