Discussion about technical issues and upgrades to 22 TCM firearms
By MANual_puller
#937 I might actually just buy a FS single stack 38 super. That will have all the parts needed....I know where there is one at a decent price. Then I can make a single stack TCM as well as a double stack 38 super by switching slides and barrels :D I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Then I could basically have any of 6 different guns with only 2 frames and all calibers using the same mags... :D I could have fun with this :D
By cdt
MANual_puller wrote:I might actually just buy a FS single stack 38 super. That will have all the parts needed....I know where there is one at a decent price. Then I can make a single stack TCM as well as a double stack 38 super by switching slides and barrels :D I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Then I could basically have any of 6 different guns with only 2 frames and all calibers using the same mags... :D I could have fun with this :D

I wish I had thought of that. That would be the best setup for the money.
By skwatch
#3602 May as well use my first post to wander into an old, but interesting thread.
Just wondering if the 9x23 Winchester might be a better choice (and resolve some of those issues) for a third caliber for our pistols? It is based on the .223/5.56 case as is the TCM, so it seems breech face and extractor issues would go away. It has similar power and ballistics (some argue better) to the .38 Super. OK, I'll admit it is a little obscure as a round, but we are all shooting .22 TCM. Any thoughts?
By 22TCM
#3603 Welcome to the forum Skwatch!

That is a great angle.

I am curious to see what those that know a hell of allot more than I think as well.
By MANual_puller
#3604 Where in the world do you get a 9x23 barrel for a 1911? Neat idea! Especially for reloaders. I think the appeal of the 38 super comes from ammo availability once the bugs are worked out of the conversion. I'm looking into 38 super since it's an approved deer hunting caliber in Iowa whereas 22TCM, 9x19 and 9x23 are not. I have reached out to Armscor customer service who had me email Shawn about getting a quote on sending my TCM to them to have a second slide and 38super barrel fitted. What I'm looking for is a full upper for 38 super that still has full warranty. RIA doesn't make a double stack in 38 super, I was hoping I could have the first :D Awaiting response. I'll keep updated.
By skwatch
#3605 I think Nowlin and a few others used to stock 9x23 barrels. I haven't shopped lately, but I bet they are getting harder to find. If I decided to pursue it I'd probably just get a good 9mmx19. barrel and ream it to 9x23 Win. A quick look suggests reamers are still available here.http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=214&tname=rental

Also, fortunately for me, Texas is less restrictive on hunting calibers.
By MANual_puller
skwatch wrote:Also, fortunately for me, Texas is less restrictive on hunting calibers.

Lucky you. Only long guns we can use here are black powder or shotguns.

Here's the handgun restrictions for Iowa:

Center-fire handguns .357 caliber
or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition
with an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel
length for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder
stock or long barrel modifications are allowed.
Only the following center-fire cartridges may
be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41
Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington
Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445
Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag,
.45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451
Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460
Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Magnum,
.475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action
Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500