Discussion about technical issues and upgrades to 22 TCM firearms
By cdt
#291 I've asked this question on the 1911 forum and got great feedback from one member that it works well for him. I'm just wondering if others have done a 38 super conversion with their double stack RIA 22 TCM/9mm and if they have had issues with the conversion. If a barrel and mag is all that is needed it would be a somewhat inexpensive conversion. Armscor says it won't work. I wonder what the reason is.
By tnron11
#292 fred craig said it is the slide is not a 9mm . it is made for the tcm rd . and there was something about rimmed or rimless 38 super brass . he posted on the tcm facebook group about a week 1/2 ago . if on facebook join the group and you can see his answer to it . he should know .
By MANual_puller
#293 The 9mm/TCM slide might not be compatible with 38 super. Diameter of the casing at the rim for 9mm is 0.380, 22TCM is 0.378 and 38 super is 0.406. Would definitely stretch the limits of the extractor to use 38 super with a 9mm/TCM slide/bolt and the casings might be off center enough that the firing pin may not strike the primer and fire reliably or feed into the chamber for that matter. Swapping barrel, mag and slide you may have a chance then getting it to work :D would be a neat gun to have 38 super in an A2 frame :) Probably won't get it done very cheap though. Good luck!
By harleyhopper
#295 Bill of keystoneweapons in the video section has a vid of various slides he interchanges on a frame. I don't remember if the .38 Super was one of them. Take a look. The non compatability was simply the ejector. I'm sure if you could acqire a .38 Super upper and compatable mag , it would work. Costly but don't know why it wouldn't work. Steve
By cdt
#329 I am still confused about conversion to 38 super. I thought maybe if I could get a 9mm/38 super slide and barrel I could just swap it onto my 22 tcm frame. I e-mailed Armscor. I was told it wouldn't work, that the 22 tcm frame is machined differently. I love the gun I have, but it sounds like the frame and slide are for that gun only so any conversion to super 38 is out of the question. I thought parts on 1911 style pistols were pretty interchangeable, but I was wrong. Is this true of most makes and models or just RIA pistols?
By keystoneweaponBill
#361 I can answer this one!!! The 38 Super will not fit in the TCM's slide and heres why... The TCM was originally designed by Freddy to accomodate the TCM only and then they decided to sell it as a combo for obvious reasons as it is a wildcat with unknown potential and customer buy-in. They had to widen the breechface to accomodate for the 9MM which was not something Fred wanted to do but they decided to do it a minimal amount to make it safe and reliable. You need about 1-2 more thousandths to get the 38 super to work right.

Don't et me wrong, I've done it.... but you really shouldn't. The breechface was already widened to accomodate 9MM and you risk the TCM brass having too much breechface if you widen it.

The 9MM slides will however accomodate it as mentioned above relating to the video I have on it... if you can pick up a 9MM slide then you could use it with a 38 super barrel and be good to go... maybe I'll do it to one of mine to prove to you it works on camera but I have converted many 9mm's to 38 Supers.

So, yeah... It "Will" work... but really you shouldn't.... a 38 super's case head is basically the exact same size as the breechface and has no breathing room for case and brass variations (which is why it will fit on the 9mm's face, the tolerances are opened up to accomodate for 9mm's variations, which happens to be big enough and close enough to the 38 supers!"

I hope this helps!
-Bill

SORRY for the late reply, I had a hellacious work week this week!!!!! ka boom
By cdt
#556 Thanks keystoneweaponBill. You're right, the 38 super rim is too wide for the 22 TCM slide. So I got a 38 super/9mm slide. The question I have now is will the 38 super round feed reliably enough into the 38 super barrel using the double stack mag frame? I have tried dry cycling rounds (no firing pin in the slide yet) and the rounds chamber about 50% of the time. The rounds that do not chamber stick high on the barrel chamber. Any suggestions for solving this issue? I have attched pictires of where the barrel fits the frame.
By keystoneweaponBill
#647 Hey Ctd, I just wanted you to know that I am still diligently working on this and I think I have a "fix" for it... I have a pile of 1911 parts in front of me and am getting there... there are some dimensional differences between the single and double stacks with the frame bridge and my basic thinking is that if you can do it with a 9mm then you can do it with the 38 super and I WILL. I am just doing a few more precision measurements and stuff before I get too overzealous and start hot-rodding... but I will upload some video of what I am looking at and upload you a link tomorrow... and hopefully we will be able to get this working, I am confident that it can be done. The two issues are the magazine feed angle during lockup and the fact that the shorter (and thinner) frame bridge lead to the "setback" of the barrel and I am comparing the 9MM barrel built to fit the TCM to that of the Super... if they can throat the 9MM by the measurements I am getting with a 35,000psi cartridge then the 36,000psi super should be able to hold its own when you look at the "Colt" throating ramp they have used in their supers for decades... Okay, enough of my rambling, I'm gonna keep working and get back to you soon brother!
By cdt
#649 Thanks keystoneweaponBill. I'm holding off on doing anything else until I see what you come up with. I'm hopeful this conversion will work. I've had some fun with this and learned some things at the same time.