Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By Wheelgun convert
#15068 Can someone please post the length of a factory 9R cartridge. The 9r bullet is so blunted up front that it must be seated significantly deeper to chamber.
By earlwb
#15070 If no one beats me to it, I will check and confirm the COAL for the 22 TCM 9R later today. I have a box of the rounds but I need to go and dig it back out. But it was measured by a magazine reviewer as being 1.150 inches. Now then the max length for a 9x19mm parabellum cartridge is about 1.169 inches with 1.095 inches listed as the minimum length.

The regular 22 TCM cartridge is listed at being 1.265 inches for its max COAL. I think that the factory ammo is using 1.247 for the COAL though.

By Wheelgun convert
#15071 Thanks for your support. Right now I'm at 1.200 to get my 1911 into battery and they still look a bit long, but the single mockup does seem to clear the magazine and load without getting into a bind.
By earlwb
#15072 I dug out a couple of boxes of 22TCM and 22 TCM9R ammo to check the OAL on them.

With the 22TCM 9R cartridges, I got a minimum OAL of 1.1415 inches and a maximum OAL of 1.1470 inches. Most were around 1.1450 inches though.

With the 22TCM regular cartridges, I got a OAL from 1.2515 to 1.2520 inches.

Pics showing the OAL for the 22TCM 9R factory rounds that I have:

now then here are pics for the regular 22 TCM cartridge OAL

By earlwb
#15073 I thought that I ought to mention that the cartridge overall length can vary a little when ammunition is assembled or reloaded. The cases are slightly springy and flex and spring back. Also the case neck areas tend to have different tension from case to case too. The bullets and their jackets vary slightly as well. Then when you are assembling a round and you go to insert and press the bullet into the case, the case will compress down and bulge slightly as the bullet is pressed in. Couple that with the variations in neck tension gripping the bullet, friction differences, etc. the actual overall length of the cartridge will vary slightly. Yeah it is quite annoying. But it happens to everyone, the factories and the individuals doing reloading.
By Wheelgun convert
#15079 Thank you for your thorough response. I have not considered the springgy issue...have never even looked for it.
This cartridge is my white whale! Not only does every different bullet and boo lit require a significant load ladder, but each design is a new adventure in loading technique.
So far I've worked up original TCM factory, some pulled 22 mag, and some NOE 37 HITEK & PC/GC boolitz. The pulled 22mag looked promising but is cost prohibitive as I couldn't find an open source for bulk purchases. The NOE 37's were ok with either coating but only in loads b/w 8.5-9ish of H110. The few I prepared below 8.5 just would not cycle right.
Then there is this 9r projectile. Strange looking bugger that wants to squish / deform with too much pressure during seating. Unusually deep seating depth but a shape that makes sense for the application.
I keep hoping one of the swaging guys will come out with a hornet like solid copper pill that will revive the interest in this cartridge. I'm definitely concerned that this one will die if the current mfg doesn't release the cartridge for SAMMI specs so other manufacturers can take a swing at it.
By earlwb
#15081 Maybe some swaging dies and punches so we could use spent 22 rimfire cases with lead slugs to swage our own jacketed bullets. It is a lot of work, but what the heck, it is only time spent doing it. Granted some people consider their time much more valuable than others do.

Now then a lot of guys are having pretty good success with powder coating their lead bullets. So maybe that is the way to go. One can get a lead bullet mold and bullet sizer and have at it then too.

Oh yeah, one could buy copper rods and use a lathe to machine bullets. It is a bit painstaking to do, but doable though.

There are some companies making solid copper bullets in .224 caliber too. This one referenced makes 32 grain and 40 grain bullets besides others as well. ref https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cut ... caliber=35