Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By RGRacing
#15007 I loaded up 50 with the new Factory 40 gr bullets - I added a spacer in my Lee seating die and was able to get to the recommended 1.255 OAL - I did smash 3 of the 50 with the aid of my fat fingers.
I'm going to try a wooden clothes pin to clamp around the neck while holding the bullet as straight as possible. - maybe even a little sanding on the neck portion of the Clothes pin. Jiggling the handle prior to the slow press seems to be pretty good. I have chamfered my once fired brass as well.

Went to the range with my ladder - 10/10.1/10.2/10.3/10.4/10.5 and 10.6 rounds -
All tumbled - all shot fine - no chrono but watching and feeling the recoil and ejection - I think 10.3 will be a target.
I loaded mags every other one with a factory for that quick compare and I'm OK with my choice.

The tumbling is a big concern - I may get the Lee FCD and see if I can resolve the issue - I thought heading up to 10.5 gr of H110 would do it. I weighted each one to make sure all was perfect.

Back to the bench -
By digitcontrol
#15008 RG, Just to make sure I understand, you are using factory 40gr bullets, H110 powder and a 22tcm pistol. The bullet impact appears that the bullets are hitting side ways?
What distance are you shooting from?
I have loaded similar loads using 296Win at 10.1-10.3 same bullet out of my mid size pistol & my rifle without any indication of tumbling. However I do use the Lee FCD since these are magnum powders and in the larger calipers require crimping not only to prevent bullet jump but to get proper powder burn performance .
Let us know what you find out once you have solved the mystery.
By RGRacing
#15009 Yes to all - 4.25" MS - factory bullets - I am going to order the FCD - I use them on all my other calibers - love the concept and the extra work is just one more nice chance to inspect the final round - I'll be ordering today -

Funny Midway has a $99 free shipping and I'm shopping for stuff LOL

Thanks for the reply -
By Mgammon
#15011 Haven't seen any yet ... Loading W296, 10.5g and using Std 40g, VMax 35g, and Hornady .218 Bee rounds ... Shooting the 4.25 TAC Combo on the 1911 and in the Rifle .. Getting super grouping at
100yds with the rifle .. Can do a 6 shot group and put a quarter over it, with most rounds touching
each other
By digitcontrol
#15014 Marshall, Are you using 10.5g of Win296 for the 40g , vmax 35g & what ever weight the 281 Bee pill across the board or are you altering for the lite grain bullets?
I am currently loading different varieties of of powder with factory 40g and 34gr mid south (midway dogtown) bullets. Have not been to range yet to see what the rifle likes but want various combos to try.
Thanks Digit
By earlwb
#15016 That is very weird. I didn't have any bullets tumble on me when firing reloaded rounds in my pistol. I had tried a number of different propellant charge weights and the bullets all went through the target OK. But if the factory rounds are all working good, then it is a mystery to me as to what you were doing when reloading to cause the issue.
By RGRacing
#15018 Thanks for the replies - Yes Odd and may be my Lee Dies - w/o FCD
I'm de-capping with lube. Clean in a super solution. Once dried, Dropping 10.5 H110 powder and very carefully seating the Factory 40 gr to OAL 1.225" - I will have my Lee FCD by Friday and will shoulder crimp a ladder or two.
Won't be till Monday until I can test them. - Same 4.25" Pistol as I described.

When I shot my last ladder - 10.1 to 10.6 I saw no difference - Still in awe over shooting this baby and catching my brass. So much to think about - LOL -

Happy Halloween
By RGRacing
#15019 FCD came in early - De-Greased and examined and I believe I see what and how this die will work.
I followed the recommended settings and shot 50 rounds today along with 5 factory rounds.
The results are better - way better - I will post a pic of the targets but for now I want to say the jury is still in deliberation but I'm hopeful of continued positive results - Seating is still a challenge but I was 100% w/o crushed cases the last 50.
I may have nicked a couple and adjusted the bullet but wiggled and went very slow during seating. Seems to allow the Lee Seating die to align the bullet better after I have to let go.

My brass catching is at 99.99% 55 shot - 54 retrieved - beginning 3rd reload on the same brass - will watch very close for oddities.
By RGRacing
#15020 Pics of the 22 TCM Lee Factory Crimp Die
My Tumbling issues
Factory Ammo

Before the FCD is was 100% tumblers - May try to crimp a little more - there is not a lot of adjustment - its a collet squeezer - It can only do what it can do -

I'll keep this updated on my next 50 - Thanks
By ralloway
#15022 Can you post some photos of your handloaded rounds?

4 photos of the same bunch of rounds, with a 1/4 turn between photos (so we can see all sides), taken from a little above the bullet, would be great!

Also photos of the same round after charging, after seating and after crimping may be helpful.