Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By Wheelgun convert
#14998 I purchased some of the nickel plated brass from ASW to try. I have been annealing my standard brass neck TCM, but I have never seen nickel plated bottle neck cases before...

Any thoughts?

I hope there are still some others that still watch this site as the traffic has really slowed down over the last year.

Thanks for any insights
Cbc
By dungheap
#15001 To each his own, but I would not try to anneal nickel plated cases. To satisfy curiousity, though, if you have a scrap case from that batch, try it and see if you can get the same color change you get with brass cases. I kinda doubt you will.

Did not know Armscor was producing nickeled cases. Wonder why they chose to do that.
By 1911SHOOTER
Wheelgun convert wrote:I purchased some of the nickel plated brass from ASW to try. I have been annealing my standard brass neck TCM, but I have never seen nickel plated bottle neck cases before...

Any thoughts?

I hope there are still some others that still watch this site as the traffic has really slowed down over the last year.

Thanks for any insights
Cbc

Wheel Gun,
The traffic has decreased on this website because of the Russian spammers who have been attacking this
site.
Blackie
By earlwb
#15015 well you can anneal nickel plated brass cases. But the color change is different so you need to watch out there. Some nickel alloys behave differently from others. Now since nickel is hard, more hard than brass, it could wear out a resizing die over time. But you'd have to be doing a lot of reloading to have that happen. I remember them stating to use carbide dies with nickel plated cases for .38 specials, etc. though. But I do not remember anyone using lots of nickel plated brass for competition shooting at the time.
ref http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ated-Brass

The nickel plated cases was probably more for corrosion protection from being loaded in a gun for long periods of time. People used to load a revolver and put it in their desk drawer or nightstand and leave it there for decades. A regular brass case tended to develop unsightly verdigris over time and the corrosion could possibly weaken the brass case.