Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By jakedawgwhite88
#14518 Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I hope to learn a bunch about this awesome little cartridge. I've done some quickload work and discovered it's not so great in this cartridge. I cast about 40-50 of the Lee 55 .225. I powder coated them and want to load. Can anyone direct me to the threads or topics already covered. I'd love to put 296 behind. I'll be using it in a rock island 1911 4.25.
[imghttps://www.google.com/search?q=lee+55+mold&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS660US661&hl=en-US&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim-LSBsprUAhUoqFQKHftkA_kQ_AUICigC&biw=375&bih=591#imgrc=N6dGfdVkpTMAjM:][/img]
By Rangemaster1
#14542 Since I'm not familiar with your expertise in this matter, be sure to keep in mind the TCM cranks out pretty fast. Faster than one would want to shoot cast bullets. Hopefully you know cast bullets can lead up a barrel real quick and can cause bullets to jam in the barrel If let go too far before cleaning. Be careful and keep your velocities in the 1100-1200 fps range. Don't load even close to max. Be safe.
By jakedawgwhite88
#14545 They're powder coated and 12 Brinell hardness I believe. My Lee manual says it's good for 1500-1700 I believe. If I run a gas check I should be ok. I doubt with case capacity and a 4.25 barrel I can get up past 1500-1600 anyway. It's for plinking at a min cost.
By Rangemaster1
jakedawgwhite88 wrote:They're powder coated and 12 Brinell hardness I believe. My Lee manual says it's good for 1500-1700 I believe. If I run a gas check I should be ok. I doubt with case capacity and a 4.25 barrel I can get up past 1500-1600 anyway. It's for plinking at a min cost.

When you say "powder coated", what kind of coating are you referring to?

Factory ammo gets 1900 or so fps from the same size barrel. I'm guessing you're loading down. Be safe.
By Rangemaster1
jakedawgwhite88 wrote:I'm using a powder coated paint that I bake on. It's very tough stuff. I'm guessing based on capacity and weight i won't be able to push it very fast.

Interesting. I haven't heard of this one. Is it a special powder coat for projectiles? What is it's advantages over say a moly coated bullet?
By tommag
#14568 Powder coating gives a fairly tough "jacket" and eliminates the need for lubing a cast bullet. It isn't as hard as a traditional jacket, but harder than most casting alloys.
By Rangemaster1
#14581 I did some utube research on the subject but so far haven't found any info on what the barrel looks like after using a coated bullet. Nor have I seen any info on what happens to velocities of a given bullet/powder combo compared to a bare lubed bullet. I'm sure it's probably there, I just haven't found it yet. I don't shoot cast bullets, but I like to know what's trending and what's new. I don't know anyone who casts bullets so I find I'm a bit ignorant of new stuff in the field. I did cast and shoot some with a buddy years ago, too many years ago. However, I'm glad the subject came up.
By earlwb
#14587 I got to thinking about this some. I am thinking of determining how deep a particular cast bullet would sit. Then filling the case with Trail Boss propellant to that point. Then seat the bullet into the case. It may make for a nice .22 rimfire Long Rifle substitute. Now then for a 40 grain cast bullet mold. We can't use a rimfire bullet mold as the .22 LR uses a heeled bullet. So I need to practice making a bullet mold for myself first to get one made. But it does sound quite promising though. Trail Boss is one of those marvelous propellants that can be used for most everything. Granted it has lower chamber pressures and less muzzle velocity for the bullets but it is a fascinating propellant nonetheless.