Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By kmrra
#11488 Has anyone made their own brass from 223 brass, I havent got my dies yet so I havent tryed yet
By SidecarMike
#11503 I do it. Haven't done a lot of it, but about 200 rounds. I started by ordering one of these jigs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22TCM-7-62x25-3 ... Swc0FUnF3I
and a tiny chop saw from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini- ... 62136.html
It's well worth the money. Watch the video at the bottom of the ebay post.
I anneal the cut off shells before forming.
The best way I've found without spending a lot is by dropping the case into a Craftsman 3/8 drive 10mm deep socket. Just enough sticks out to heat the part that will be reshaped. I hold the socket in a vise grip and heat the tip with a propane torch, just until it starts to turn pink. Not Red! Then I drop it into a pan of water, to keep the bottom from getting too hot.
Then I lube it on an RCBS pad and feed it into the regular LEE 22 TCM sizer die.

If I don't anneal, I split too many necks, maybe 2 out of 3.
By kmrra
#11577 I ordered some brass yesterday to get me started , im not going to get any factory ammo since no one has anything good to say about it , as far as groups go. But I will try and make some also , I already have a small chop saw like that and a jig for a 300 blk out , I can modify it to also work with the TCM, I will try the socket Idea to anneal them , Thanks for the info.....6 years ago when we bought our place out here in the sticks , I hadn't got back into guns then , and I had a Mill, and a Lathe that I sold because I had no where to put them , had I known that I would have been a Gun Nut again I would have never done that , Have been seriously considering getting another one .
By Collyer
#11612 I have tried to make tcm 22 but I get a seam in the neck from the vent hole in the sizing die. Maybe I am not annealing them long enough. Have you had this problem.
Tom
By SidecarMike
Collyer wrote:I have tried to make tcm 22 but I get a seam in the neck from the vent hole in the sizing die. Maybe I am not annealing them long enough. Have you had this problem.
Tom

Yes, but it doesn't affect the cartridge, so I don't obsess over it. I plan to hone the sizer. It is just a tiny burr, but haven't done so yet.
By Godsdog
#11712 Fellas, You can order 22 TCM Brass for $15/C here: http://sleepinggiantbrass.com/22tcm%20ss%20tumbled I found the brass I ordered to be very uniform and made from one Lot of 223 Brass. I did anneal the mouths of the cases when I got it but I found no reason to trim because of the uniformity. You might have to drop the charge by a coupla tenths in this military brass because of a smaller capacity but I was happy.
By dungheap
#11941 I annealed a bunch of assorted .223 brass and now am having more grief trying to form cases than I did before annealing. I use Lee dies, and the necks are literally folding now.

Factory brass is cheap as brass goes, and the fellow offering formed brass for $15/100 has got to be a little crazy to offer them that cheap. But sometimes crazy is good -- I think I'm living proof of that. :)

Still, I hate to let all that semi-scrap brass become real scrap...