Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By Boman250
#8793 Like the title says, I have been working on a 40g vmax load and have run myself in circles.

Worked up from 9 grains of H110 to almost 12 grains when I hit pressure signs. Had a few decent groups but nothing amazing.

Sent the rifle back to armscor because of the accuracy and light primer strike issues. Got it back and didn't have much better results today either.

The 35g nosler varmaggedons did ok. But still not stellar.

Should I try seating them deeper? further out? I have them at 1.51" right now.
By dungheap
#8892 RIA rifles have a very slow twist rate (1:16), and probably won't stabilize heavier bullets very well. IMO, if you're out for accuracy, go with the lightest .22 caliber bullets you can find and work from there. Hornady NTX and Nosler lead-free 35 grainers show promise. My rifle has a 1:9 twist barrel, so anything I come up with probably won't work well in RIA guns, and the accuracy in mine is hit or miss as well. This is a finicky little cartridge unless all you're out to accomplish is making the sand fly -- and then you're likely better off with a pistol.
By Gene
#8894 I haven't tried the 40gr V Max, but I have loaded 100 of the 35gr V max's and they do pretty good. 10.4gr of tightgroup was giving me 2950ish velocities.
The 40 gr factory load groups ok at 50 yards, my groups with factory fodder were pretty bad at 100 yards.
By wood chucker
dungheap wrote:RIA rifles have a very slow twist rate (1:16), and probably won't stabilize heavier bullets very well. IMO, if you're out for accuracy, go with the lightest .22 caliber bullets you can find and work from there. Hornady NTX and Nosler lead-free 35 grainers show promise. My rifle has a 1:9 twist barrel, so anything I come up with probably won't work well in RIA guns, and the accuracy in mine is hit or miss as well. This is a finicky little cartridge unless all you're out to accomplish is making the sand fly -- and then you're likely better off with a pistol.

I think 16 twist is o.k. It's been working fine for the .22 Hornet with 40-45 grain pills since it came out.
Now roll some premium loads for the TCM and launch them out a premium barrel ? that changes things considerably.
By Mgammon
#13807 Could someone post a picture of the Hornady 40g VMax loaded .. Have been playing with them trying to get them to fit my rifle and the bullet is really low in the case .. Looks like a bird looking out of the case at 1.250 OAL ... Had high hopes for this pointed bullet .. the 35g V-Max do great and can make
the 1.250 OAL without any problem at all ... omg omg

Please post a picture of what you have loaded in the 40g Vmax ... Tks in advance