Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By chefreiss1
tinkertoy92 wrote:I made a bunch a couple months ago before discovering this forum, and I didn't get them even glowing orange- I heated them with a propane torch for about ten seconds a piece and then tipped them... it worked but I had to run them through the press pretty hard- I have since had my little brother who is borrowing my 22tcm while I'm in Europe switch to using an actual cutting touch with a wide angle tip. What I am told also works that I haven't tried yet is taking your lead melter (for those of you that also cast bullets) and holding the case head with a pair of pliers and dip the front 1/4 in the case in the molten lead, letting it soak in the molten lead for a couple seconds, and then pulling it and dumping it in a quenching bucket (the lead won't stick to non lead metals). I'll post results to this method the next time I'm stateside in January... the only other input I have on this topic is that a jewellers chopsaw from harbor freight ($25) with a sharpie mark on its vice at the proper length to cut the cases is invaluable for this process

You had to run them into the press "pretty hard" because you didn't heat them long enough. You ain't made to a Texan yet because you don't follow instructions. Don't you know that in order to become a Texan, you have to do exactly as the "Real" Texan tells you to! Now go back and follow my instructions, has worked in Texas for nearly 40 years and no process is better, simpler or cheaper to do yet, why it's because it's the way we do it in Texas. Have you caught on yet!
By tinkertoy92
#1723 Like I said- that was before I discovered this forum and I was following the lead of a YouTube video of some guy making his own 300 blkout brass... which as it turns out isn't as important to anneal it properly because you're not sizing it down as much. If you read my whole post you would also see that I've since strarted using a cutting torch because it gets much hotter... resulting in the neck being cherry red before it gets tipped over. As far as the way we do it in Texas, where I'm from everyone is still inn the phase of being fascinated by it or being convinced I'm a heretic because the only centerfire pistol calibers anyone uses are 9 or 45, 40 if you're rich, or 380 if you're a woman :P
By chefreiss1
tinkertoy92 wrote:Like I said- that was before I discovered this forum and I was following the lead of a YouTube video of some guy making his own 300 blkout brass... which as it turns out isn't as important to anneal it properly because you're not sizing it down as much. If you read my whole post you would also see that I've since strarted using a cutting torch because it gets much hotter... resulting in the neck being cherry red before it gets tipped over. As far as the way we do it in Texas, where I'm from everyone is still inn the phase of being fascinated by it or being convinced I'm a heretic because the only centerfire pistol calibers anyone uses are 9 or 45, 40 if you're rich, or 380 if you're a woman :P

Tinkertoy92, you are getting close. I have your Texas citizenship id filled out, but I haven't signed it yet.
By Handloader109
#1727 Ha! You guys are a hoot! BTW, I picked thru a pile of my 223 brass the other day and pulled out a hundred or so LC stamped, cut and then tumbled cleaner in my cheapo HF rock tumbler with stainless steel pins. Eliminated the deburring step I've been doing. I then dried and forgot to anneal. Went straight to die and resized with the decap pin in place. Darn, not a one crushed or crimped. I'll anneal and resize again before loading up, but here for sure is more than one way to skin a cat.
By Jesse Heywood
#1729 I tried cutting down 223 brass, had been successful for 300 AAC. Ended up with an outer neck diameter that needed turned to fit the chamber. And the inside diameter was okay, but the surface was distorted enough to need reamed. Plus I was low on 223 brass. Looked at the cost of a reamer and turner, decided the factory brass wasn't such a bad deal. So I bought a thousand cases.
By tinkertoy92
chefreiss1 wrote:
tinkertoy92 wrote:Like I said- that was before I discovered this forum and I was following the lead of a YouTube video of some guy making his own 300 blkout brass... which as it turns out isn't as important to anneal it properly because you're not sizing it down as much. If you read my whole post you would also see that I've since strarted using a cutting torch because it gets much hotter... resulting in the neck being cherry red before it gets tipped over. As far as the way we do it in Texas, where I'm from everyone is still inn the phase of being fascinated by it or being convinced I'm a heretic because the only centerfire pistol calibers anyone uses are 9 or 45, 40 if you're rich, or 380 if you're a woman :P

Tinkertoy92, you are getting close. I have your Texas citizenship id filled out, but I haven't signed it yet.

I'm determined... when I'm back stateside I'll post some range report/ hog hunting results... build a little credibility :D
By chefreiss1
tinkertoy92 wrote:
chefreiss1 wrote:

I'm determined... when I'm back stateside I'll post some range report/ hog hunting results... build a little credibility :D

Don't forget about your BBQ facts, everyone know that the best in the world comes from Kreuz's Market in Lockhart. Remember it's: Meat & bread, beer & meat & meat & meat & last but not least, more meat & beer. No sauce, beans, potato salad, slaw or any of that other crap that will get in the way of meat.

When you get back look me up, I will treat you to a meal at Kreuz's in honor of your service to our country. I'll drive though, can get out of those tickets easier than you can.

P.S. - Sorry if I ruin your day now that all you can do is think of that "fat drippin", delicious meat.
By Grayowl
#3580 Using a pan of water to stand you brass is not the best way. Make a holder to hold your LP torch (mine fits in the vise on my 24 foot reloading bench) Put a 5 gal. bucket below and use a electric screwdriver and a socket to fit whatever case you want to anneal. A Deal-to-Anneal makes holders, but sockets work fine. Hold the case in the flame while it rotates (to ensure heating the same all the way around. When it reaches the right color, tip the driver over to dump the case in the bucket of water. I use .223 cases because most .223 shooters don't reload and leave hundreds of cases on the ground. Since the .223 case is thicker, I use a Foster.220 neck reamer when I trim the brass. I've had a lot of failure to extract with factory brass because the tcm case rim is a few thousands smaller that the .223 case rim, which is smaller that a 9mm case rim. No problems with the brass made from .223 cases. The 22 Hornet pressure if 43,000 CUP. The pressure limit for the .218 Bee (which is shaped more like the 22 TCM case is 40,000CUP. 11.6 gn. of 296 works fine in the TCM. The same amount of H110 gives a bit more fps. Magnum primes used only with larger cases (.30 carbine and up) Regular small pistol primers for the .22 Hornet, .218 Bee and 22 TCM.
By MANual_puller
#3585 Not everyone has a 24' reloading bench. Hell, I don't even have a room in my apartment that's 24' square! Nobody's ideas or methods here are bad, they are just different. Your input is appreciated and thanks for sharing your way of doing it :D Some may find it useful, some may not. I personally like it for the simplicity and even heat distribution.