Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By OlMarine
Jesse Heywood wrote:My trip to the range last week included some Lil Gun loads. Indoor range, no chrony.

Bullet - 40 gr. Armscor SJHP
Case - New, sized Armscor
Primer - Tula SPP (KBV-9)
OAL - 1.270
Powder - Lil Gun
Charge - 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 10.0 gr.
The 9.4 & 9.6 gr. charges failed to extract.
9.8 & 10.0 gr. functioned, dropped cases just behind me, and were more accurate than W296/H110 loads.

Thanks for the update and the data, Jessie. Your data backs up the thinking that we might be on the right track. I believe that using Lil'Gun and the SPP, we will be able to walk up the loads and end up with a SAFE, accurate bullet, with blazing velocities. I sure wish we had some way to check chamber pressures, but why try to re-invent the wheel, because Hodgdon has already done the homework for us! THANKS again, Jessie!
By TXCOONDOG
#2013 RIA 1911 A2, FS (5" barrel) Target Combo

I used the Armscor factory (black/yellow box)rounds as my baseline and the average velocity were 2016FPS.

No signs of pressure, got me between 1934-1969 FPS with good feeding and ejection

Bullet: 40gr JHP
Case: New Armscore Brass with a CL of 1.025"
Primer: CCI 500 (Small Pistol)
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 10.0 gr
O.A.L: 1.252"
Velocities: Average 1934FPS
Case: New Armscor Brass with a CL of 1.025"
Primer: CCI 500 (Small pistol)
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 10.5 gr
Velocities: Average 1969 FPS

I will continue to use the WIn Small Rifle primers(see original post) for the simple fact that I had less of a fire ball , better velocities and used less powder ..........YMMV
By OlMarine
TXCOONDOG wrote:RIA 1911 A2, FS (5" barrel) Target Combo

I used the Armscor factory (black/yellow box)rounds as my baseline and the average velocity were 2016FPS.

No signs of pressure, got me between 1934-1969 FPS with good feeding and ejection

Case: New Armscore Brass with a CL of 1.025"
Primer: CCI 500 (Small Pistol)
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 10.0 gr
Velocities: Average 1934FPS
Case: New Armscor Brass with a CL of 1.025"
Primer: CCI 500 (Small pistol)
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 10.5 gr
Velocities: Average 1969 FPS

I will continue to use the WIn Small Rifle primers(see original post) for the simple fact that I had less of a fire ball , better velocities and used less powder ..........YMMV

AWESOME, DOG!! NOW we're cookin' with gas! That's about what I was thinkin' we would get from 10.5 grains. What most people forget is that those huge fireballs are generated by unburnt powder, a waste, not more push for the bullet. How was the cleanliness? I mean, did it look like it was leaving the gun cleaner than the factory ammo?

Well, since the factory says max load is 10.5 grains of H110, I'm betting that a touch more Lil'Gun will safely duplicate the factory velocity?

Nobody can say that you didn't give it a fair test. Hell, if you're satisfied with the velocity that ya got, you can stand down and let somebody else walk up the Lil'Gun, if ya want. In any event, it's on to walkin' it up some. What do you think?

Sonny
By TXCOONDOG
#2017 You will start getting split case necks with 10.8gr of LIL'GUN and WSR primers. You really do not gain much in a 5" barrel so 10-10.3 grains is a perfect balance between accuracy, velocities, reliability, case life and minimize weapon wear.

Cleanliness seems pretty close to the same especially when shooting over 10 rounds.
By KMM696
#12957 I'm waiting for my local shop to get me some Lil' Gun in so I can start loading for a 13" Contender barrel. I suppose a slightly slower powder in the longer barrel might be effective, too.

Hmm..... Won't get a chance at range time until this weekend, at best. Maybe the powder will show up this week.
By dungheap
#12959 Effective, maybe, but I doubt that you'll see velocities that you'd want for varminting if that's your game. Outside of LilGun, most of the powders I've tried with 35gr bullets have yielded pretty disappointing velocities. 296/H110 would probably be my second choice at this point.
By KMM696
#13082 You have a point, there. I was rereading the forum posts on Lil' Gun load data, and Lil' Gun being the best velocities in the TCM seems fairly universal. Especially since this will be varmint ready.

And since I don't have any H110 or 296 either, I guess I'll be waiting for my gun shop's next powder shipment. Today, or next Wednesday, or maybe the one after that - come on, big brown truck!
By dungheap
#13126 If I had a Contender barrel like yours, I'd be looking for some 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenades or the Midsouth 34gr Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets. With LilGun behind them, you ought to be able to get them going pretty fast. In my rifle, I got the best accuracy with 11.8gr and 11.5gr, respectively. Probably a good idea to start a little lower. Accuracy could be a little shaky with the lighter charges. In a 13" barrel, you could get those 30 grainers going close to 3000 fps if you hit the right combination (they're running around 3300 fps in my rifle).

If you happen to have Accurate #9 or N110, both work pretty well, but the velocities are nowhere near what you'll get with LilGun.