Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By pm1225
TXCOONDOG wrote:pm1225, Thanks for the YT video. Interesting that he used a .45 powder charge die with a.22 drop feed tube instead of a short charging die.
http://leeprecision.com/short-charging-die.html

Bill is threatening Houston with floods so I'm off today and will be calling Hornady.
Resized a OEM once fired case using a standard shell plate and the shoulder is .368 instead of .362 and the base is .374" instead of .372 after resizing twice....FTF is not acceptable to me.

Edit: Called Hornady, Bill in the Custom Die division and had to leave a detailed message. According to the voicemessage, it may take up to a couple days for a return call. I will follow up on the end result too.

Would someone be kind enough to measure their resized cases using the Lee die ?

The .45 charge die and .22 drop tube work beautifully for me also. I miked 3 rounds each of Armscor factory, my .22 tcm reloads and the cut down .223 Rem. brass. (average of 3, each sample)

Factory:
shoulder .368"
base .372"

.22 tcm reload:
shoulder .367"
base .374"

.223 Rem. cutdowns
shoulder .366"
base .373"

I should point out that I plunk tested every round in my barrel until I was confident that the extra couple of thousandths at the base had no ill effect. I've had exactly one FTF out of about 400+ reloads, and that particular round was obviously not sized right. I think that it wasn't annealed properly and kind of "sprang back" to a contour that wouldn't chamber. Other than that, no problems here.
By DurangoKid
#1633 I have not experienced split necks or over sized basis as yet. I have only put just over 1,000 rounds through the 1911 RI. In testing the Encore Bullets in a very accurate CZ 527 Hornet the accuracy is not that great. I am currently loading some other 35 and 40 grs. bullets for comparison.
By peh
#1691 I want to get started loading the 22 TCM and have just purchased 1000 of the 40gr JHP. I have a couple of questions about powder. Because of all the controversy about LIL'GUN, I was wondering if anyone using it had seen any erosion of the chamber or barrel in this caliber? I have used it in .327 Federal Magnum, and have so far not seen any problems in the three guns I have fired the reloads in. Also, has anyone done any work with, or seen information about using faster powders in 22 TCM, i.e. HS-6 or CFE Pistol. When I first started searching the WEB for loading data on 22 TCM, I thought I saw someone using CFE Pistol but can't seem to find the reference again. Thanks for any info.

Paul H.

Will be using Lee dies and Classic Turret Press.
By pmiya
#1705 I've been using Lil Gun in 22 Hornet for a few years, probably shortly after Lil Gun was introduced. I haven't noticed any problems with my loads. A friend of mine also uses it in Lil Gun in the 2 Hornets I sold him, he also hasn't had any issues. The Lil Gun loads I'm using in the TCM have been mainly shot out of my rifle.

I vaguely recall seeing some information about using faster powders. I know that one of the powders mentioned was AA7. They didn't have much success with that powder and couldn't get the velocity out of their loads.

I've only used H110/296 and Lil Gun.
By OlMarine
TXCOONDOG wrote:RIA 1911 A2, FS Target Combo

Since these were my first loaded rounds, I used the Armscor factory (black/yellow box)rounds as my baseline and the average velocity was 2016FPS.

No signs of pressure, got me between 1911- 2012 FPS with good feeding and ejection.

NOTE: Since I could not find a case gauge, I used my barrel to check my dummy rounds. I soon realized that the Hornady dies didn't size the case properly near the head. Using my dremel, I shaved the shell plate down .003" to allow the case to go further into the die body.......bingo!

Bullet: 40gr JHP
Case: Once fired Armscor with a CL of 1.025"
Primer: WSR
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 9.0 gr
O.A.L: 1.252"
Velocities: Average 1911 FPS
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 9.5 gr
Velocities: Average 1992 FPS

Powder: LIL'GUN @ 10gr
Velocities: Average 2012 FPS

Data entered on Bill's spreadsheet

From everything that I've been able to find, I believe that you are on the right track, "Dog". In fact, due to chamber pressure considerations, (if you even cared to, since you've already matched factory velocities), can I talk you into a little more testing, using the "standard" pistol primer with a touch more Lil'Gun? If ya don't care to mess with it, I understand. Thanks in advance!

I put a little more info on primers and powders in the other thread Bill started here, http://22tcm.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84

Sonny
By TXCOONDOG
OlMarine wrote:
TXCOONDOG wrote:RIA 1911 A2, FS Target Combo

Since these were my first loaded rounds, I used the Armscor factory (black/yellow box)rounds as my baseline and the average velocity was 2016FPS.

No signs of pressure, got me between 1911- 2012 FPS with good feeding and ejection.

NOTE: Since I could not find a case gauge, I used my barrel to check my dummy rounds. I soon realized that the Hornady dies didn't size the case properly near the head. Using my dremel, I shaved the shell plate down .003" to allow the case to go further into the die body.......bingo!

Powder: LIL'GUN @ 9.0 gr
Velocities: Average 1911 FPS
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 9.5 gr
Velocities: Average 1992 FPS

Powder: LIL'GUN @ 10gr
Velocities: Average 2012 FPS

Data entered on Bill's spreadsheet

From everything that I've been able to find, I believe that you are on the right track, "Dog". In fact, due to chamber pressure considerations, (if you even cared to, since you've already matched factory velocities), can I talk you into a little more testing, using the "standard" pistol primer with a touch more Lil'Gun? If ya don't care to mess with it, I understand. Thanks in advance!

I put a little more info on primers and powders in the other thread Bill started here, http://22tcm.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84

Sonny

No problem. I have lots of primers and powders on hand. I just finished my .277 Wolverine build and been playing around with load development and will be going to the range one day this week with the chrony. If time permits, I'll load up with some LIL'Gun and pistol primers.
By MANual_puller
#1968 This is awesome! Great work guys! I really wish I had room enough to have a reloading room. I'm really intrigued by what you guys can make with the different materials available :D
By Jesse Heywood
#1974 My trip to the range last week included some Lil Gun loads. Indoor range, no chrony.

Bullet - 40 gr. Armscor SJHP
Case - New, sized Armscor
Primer - Tula SPP (KBV-9)
OAL - 1.270
Powder - Lil Gun
Charge - 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 10.0 gr.
The 9.4 & 9.6 gr. charges failed to extract.
9.8 & 10.0 gr. functioned, dropped cases just behind me, and were more accurate than W296/H110 loads.