Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By TXCOONDOG
#1491 RIA 1911 A2, FS Target Combo

Since these were my first loaded rounds, I used the Armscor factory (black/yellow box)rounds as my baseline and the average velocity was 2016FPS.

No signs of pressure, got me between 1911- 2012 FPS with good feeding and ejection.

NOTE: Since I could not find a case gauge, I used my barrel to check my dummy rounds. I soon realized that the Hornady dies didn't size the case properly near the head. Using my dremel, I shaved the shell plate down .003" to allow the case to go further into the die body.......bingo!

Bullet: 40gr JHP
Case: Once fired Armscor with a CL of 1.025"
Primer: WSR
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 9.0 gr
O.A.L: 1.252"
Velocities: Average 1911 FPS
Powder: LIL'GUN @ 9.5 gr
Velocities: Average 1992 FPS

Powder: LIL'GUN @ 10gr
Velocities: Average 2012 FPS

Data entered on Bill's spreadsheet
By TXCOONDOG
#1495 I contact Hornady by email and will follow up with a call about my sizing die being out of spec.

The manafacture specs call for the base to be .372" and the die is producing .375 until I shaved my shell plate .003" and now I get .373" if I resize and rotate two or three times.

The problem with the shaved shell plate is the shoulder is being push to far back.

Hornady is a good company with customer service so I have 100% faith that they will resolve my issue.

By MANual_puller
22tcm wrote:In your comunication with Hornady, ask them if they plan on offering TCM data in the next handbook.

Now that would be handy :D And maybe if they hadn't thought of it, maybe now they will because someone asked :D
By TXCOONDOG
22tcm wrote:In your comunication with Hornady, ask them if they plan on offering TCM data in the next handbook.

Work had me tied up and just got home after 16hrs today. I will when I talk to someone, but it would carry much more weight if each TCM owner contacted Hornady and submitted a request via this contact form:

http://www.hornady.com/contact_us?g=1

It's good that I'm seeing data for the 35gr VMAX post by forum members on other threads too.

Anyone know if the Lee dies have the same aforementioned issues ?
By pm1225
#1512 I've been running the same load that you list toward the bottom - 10.0 gr. Lil' Gun, Armscor 40 gr. JHP, Winchester small rifle primers, and o.a.l of 1.250 - 1.255" and it works absolutely great in my RIA FS single stack. BTW, I originally stumbled on this exact load here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhj3wUc ... k2&index=1

No problems at all, I'm on about the 5th or 6th reload on both original .22 tcm brass AND some cut-down .223 Remington brass that I'm experimenting with. I get a few split necks, maybe 2 per 100 every time they are reloaded. Interestingly, more split necks with the .22 tcm brass than the cut down .223 brass. I've even had a couple of split necks from the Armscor factory ammo the first time they were used.

I've also tried W296 at both 10.4 gr. and 10.6 gr. A little noisier and more flash, accuracy almost the same as the Lil' Gun loading, but dirtier to shoot. Lee dies and a Lee Classic Turret here.
By Handloader109
#1514 I've seen the same thing with the split necks. I've only reloaded OEM a second time, and one here and there split. I think the issue with h the OEM splitting more than cut 223 is that the 223 will have thicker neck the way we resize. Might not be much, but enough. I cut down a few with ding near neck, they are splitting more than "good" brbrass, and will be tossed before reloading.
By TXCOONDOG
#1517 pm1225, Thanks for the YT video. Interesting that he used a .45 powder charge die with a.22 drop feed tube instead of a short charging die.
http://leeprecision.com/short-charging-die.html

Bill is threatening Houston with floods so I'm off today and will be calling Hornady.
Resized a OEM once fired case using a standard shell plate and the shoulder is .368 instead of .362 and the base is .374" instead of .372 after resizing twice....FTF is not acceptable to me.

Edit: Called Hornady, Bill in the Custom Die division and had to leave a detailed message. According to the voicemessage, it may take up to a couple days for a return call. I will follow up on the end result too.

Would someone be kind enough to measure their resized cases using the Lee die ?