Share information about reloading the 22 TCM cartridge
By dungheap
#14590 earlwb, if you'd like to try some of the Lee .22 Bator bullets, message me and I'll mail you some. They may be a little over 40 grains cast from linotype, but typically cast bullets that are desirable run a little heavier than their jacketed counterparts anyway. The profile of the .22 Bator bullet looks like it should be suitable for loading to .22 TCM magazine length. I have not tried any of them in the .22 TCM rifle yet, and even if I did, my results probably wouldn't do most others any good because of the twist diference.
By DoubleJ
#14891 My bators drop at around 52 grains, gas checked slightly more. I've run them in my five seven around 1400 FPS with no leading, using a check and TAC lube. The Lyman 225450 works better though, so I bailed on the bators. I placed an order for a G17 upper though, and with some cut and formed 223 brass I dummied up a cartridge, bators should be perfect. The length and weight concerned me though, TCM has a slower twist than the five seven, but according to a Barnes stability calculator I found, at 1500 FPS (which should be cake with a coated boolit and H110), the bators should be completely stable. If not, there is a man on the internet that can mill up to .100 off the top of the mold (gas check shank is about .082) and bring them down to .440 or so and maybe 45 grains, un checked. I think hi tek coating would be a necessity at that point, but no big deal since I already have a coating setup for my .458 SOCOM. I've also played with coating and lubing using TAC, Alox, and 45/45/10, and it may be overkill, but anything is better than a leaded barrel. Just FYI, us five seven people have hit 1800 with hornady 55 FMJs. The TCM creates similar energy levels, so I don't see that being too far out of reach, especially with lead.
By Jesse Heywood
Rangemaster1 wrote:I did some utube research on the subject but so far haven't found any info on what the barrel looks like after using a coated bullet. Nor have I seen any info on what happens to velocities of a given bullet/powder combo compared to a bare lubed bullet. I'm sure it's probably there, I just haven't found it yet. I don't shoot cast bullets, but I like to know what's trending and what's new. I don't know anyone who casts bullets so I find I'm a bit ignorant of new stuff in the field. I did cast and shoot some with a buddy years ago, too many years ago. However, I'm glad the subject came up.

Ron
Go to this page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... ternatives
More info in that one forum than anywhere else on the web. And some of those guys have done the testing.
By Garyb
#14930 I have cast and powder coated the NOE 39 grain bullets in linotype. Here is a link to the bullet dimensions.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/images/N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_225-39-FN_GC_B2__Sketch.Jpg This bullet seems to be sized the best for the TCM. These shoot comparable to the factory bullets in the 1911 but the accuracy drops in a rifle out to 100 yrds (Encore with TCM barrel). Most cast bullets are too long to feed in the 1911 TCM. The NOE 39 grain bullet is short enough to feed with no problems.