Show off your 22 TCM pics, videos, shot groups, kill shots and "big fish" stories
By rodentman
#2586 Rodentman here, again.

I've been reloading since 1972 and bought a 22 tcm about a year or so ago. I haven't had any issues with reloading this or the 5.7x28 which is actually more difficult. I have a lot more to talk about but I will wait until I'm sure I won't get banned again.

Here's the reloading room:

By 22TCM
#2587 Welcome back Mr Cotter!

Thanks for your patience in my ban blunder good sir. You are good to go.

Glad to have you with the group.

That reloading room gets me all emotional. Wow. Nicely done.
By digitcontrol
#2588 Nice, well stocked pantry you have there. Welcome to the forum!
Since you load both 5.7 & 22TCM care to share any comparisons or contrasts in both performance & reloading recipes of these rounds?.
By rodentman
#2589 Gotta start somewhere. This was the beginning of this reloading area:

Pappy, the Siamese, guards brass laid out to dry:

Start of "custom made" box for 50GI reloads:

Finished product:

But much nicer to buy a special ammo case:

Personalized reloading block for 223:

By rodentman
#2590 22tcm vs 5.7x28:

5.7 is a PIA to reload. Cases cannot be tumbled (although I DID run some thru the SS pin tumbler and they ran fine). Not a good idea to strip the lacquer coating off the brass. though. So I wash them in a solution of Simple Groin. And you can't get new brass, so you're starting with someone else's stuff or just your empties which means you gotta buy the ammo to start with. I HATE buying ammo.

So you resize the brass. Need to set back that shoulder and it takes some lube and effort. Well that part is pretty much the same with the tcm. But many of the 5.7 primer pockets need to be reamed and ALL the brass needs to be trimmed, chamfered and deburred. This is a time consuming project and even though I have a big motorized trimmer the cases are really too small for that setup IMHO. So it's one by one with the Lee trimmer and motorized screwdriver.

Seating the primers isn't too tough once you ream the pockets.

I use 5.4gr of True Blue and V-Max BT bullets, 40gr. that combination works. Charging and seating are pretty routine. It's just they are so small and tempermental....and there are so many horror stories that you get scared a bit. But I had only 1 issue, and that was with a ProMag 30 round mag in the pistol. Two rounds caught on the feed lips or something and the bullets pushed into the case. But no other issue ever.

Just time consuming, and not for amateurs to reload.
By Bigjayste
#2594 Been thinking about getting into reloading myself. How much does it cost (est) to get the basic supplies one would need to start reloading and I would be reloading mostly pistol rds .40 caliber,9 mm,38 super,and .22 TCM would be about the only rds I would wanna reload. I do alot of shooting and anything that could make it cheaper would help me with my addiction. My wife is currently looking for a gun addiction treatment facility. :D
By rodentman
#2601 The Big Three (Lee, RCBS, and Redding) all sell kits which will give you a press, scale, and the other basics. Go to cabelas.com and search for "reloading kit" to see what I mean. A few hundred bucks... but you see what happened to me. I have thousands in my setup and it's still pretty simple, just a lot of supplies and specialized tools.

I am a real stickler regarding dies, and I use mostly Redding Competition sets with micrometer seating dies. These aren't cheap. Anyway you can start with a few hundred $.

I reload all of the rounds you mention and they're not tough. I'd not start with the tcm though until you get the "feel" for how things work. A lot of the project is feel from experience. Loose, tight, etc.

The Rodentwoman has given up trying to get me committed for my addiction.