Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By Mookie
#15098 So I finally thought I found the tcm rifle I wanted on gunbroker and the wife gave the ok. It had a serial number above 6,000, had a nicely stained stock with the ebony forend sanded down and stained walnut, scope, and rings. Original owner supposedly put only 17 rounds through it.

Turns out my tcm pistol groups better (not quite, but it's not far from the truth). I've tried three scopes, different bases, checked the torque on action bolts, thoroughly cleaned and lubed. I've also tried five different ammo lots. Shooting from a sled I've had one group under 5 inches and often get fliers that open groups up to 7 to 10 inches. Also haven't made it through a single mag without at least one and often 2 light primer strikes that fail to fire. Could the inconsistent primer strikes lead to accuracy issues? Am I wrong in thinking I should be able to get better groups? Open to suggestions. Thanks.
By mbogo
#15100 5" groups is almost unheard of these days.

Does the crown look damaged, or does it have a burr?

mbogo
By dungheap
Mookie wrote:So I finally thought I found the tcm rifle I wanted on gunbroker and the wife gave the ok. It had a serial number above 6,000, had a nicely stained stock with the ebony forend sanded down and stained walnut, scope, and rings. Original owner supposedly put only 17 rounds through it.

Turns out my tcm pistol groups better (not quite, but it's not far from the truth). I've tried three scopes, different bases, checked the torque on action bolts, thoroughly cleaned and lubed. I've also tried five different ammo lots. Shooting from a sled I've had one group under 5 inches and often get fliers that open groups up to 7 to 10 inches. Also haven't made it through a single mag without at least one and often 2 light primer strikes that fail to fire. Could the inconsistent primer strikes lead to accuracy issues? Am I wrong in thinking I should be able to get better groups? Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Go back through some of the discussion threads on this forum for an abundance of horror stories similar to yours. What's your serial number range? Early rifles were notorious for bad barrels. What can you do? Whether it would doo any good or not, I don't know, but I'd suggest you contact Armscor/RIA and explain the situation and see what you get. If you can get your barrel scoped, that may tell a lot. I don't think inconsistent primer strikes lead to accuracy issues, at least not with something with the miniscule recoil a .22 TCM imparts. If all else fails, you may need to look into changing your name (or at least your screen name to "Ben Scrood." XD
By DoubleJ
#15105 Start by running a patched jag down the barrel and feeling for a loose spot. Light primer strikes could mean the previous owner had a squib round lodge in the barrel and then fired another round into the back of it, leaving a bulge. Happened to me on a rimfire purchase once.
By 1911SHOOTER
Mookie wrote:So I finally thought I found the tcm rifle I wanted on gunbroker and the wife gave the ok. It had a serial number above 6,000, had a nicely stained stock with the ebony forend sanded down and stained walnut, scope, and rings. Original owner supposedly put only 17 rounds through it.

Mookie,
Here is an article I read this AM, has some good advice in it.
Also, are you aware the warranty on RIA guns follows the gun for life?
ALso, I left a post this AM on here about TCM ammo. Basically I only
buy the ARMSCOR USA ammo, it is made in the USA.

Blackie

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/the-tru ... -misfires/
By earlwb
#15108 I would also suggest contacting Armscor about it. They have been pretty good about warranty issues. They did have problems putting in the rifling on the barrels early on. So your rifle may still be in that category.
By dungheap
#15111 If you end up arranging to send that rifle in for warranty repairs, be sure to get some assurance that you'll be getting it back with the same stock, and with that stock in the same condition it was received in. It sounds like a lot of work was put into it.
By Mookie
#15113 Thanks for the input. I had seen some of the threads on here regarding early production barrels and avoided some options I had seen that were at or below 2000 serial numbers for this reason. Was hoping that with a serial number over 6000 it wouldn't be an issue.

I think I will take one more good look at the barrel. I didn't notice any loose spots while cleaning, and I tried to inspect it for burrs with a bore light. I know that won't let me see near what a scope would, but don't see anything alarming. I will try the jag and pay more attention to how it runs.

Ammo wise all the boxes I have are US production. And I have fired a few rounds from them in my pistol to see if I had issues that way, and so far running them that way has been fine. In fact, my pistol mag is loaded with a bunch of the light primer strikes right now as they work fine if I put them in my pistol. When I get the light strikes the firing pin is much more visible at the rear of the bolt, almost as if it is hanging up and the indent is very light, so I've come to the conclusion it is something in the pin or bolt, not the ammo.

I do really like the stock, as someone had put some time into it. Beginning to think the owner did the work before doing much shooting, ran into issues and decided to send it down the road. Hoping that it won't be an issue regarding the warranty if I do send it in.

If I do send it in, any suggestions on who to contact? I've seen several e-mails mentioned in other threads, or should I just start with the warranty/customer service page on the website?

Thanks again.
By 1911SHOOTER
Mookie wrote:Thanks for the input. I had seen some of the threads on here regarding early production barrels and avoided some options I had seen that were at or below 2000 serial numbers for this reason. Was hoping that with a serial number over 6000 it wouldn't be an issue.

I think I will take one more good look at the barrel. I didn't notice any loose spots while cleaning, and I tried to inspect it for burrs with a bore light. I know that won't let me see near what a scope would, but don't see anything alarming. I will try the jag and pay more attention to how it runs.

Ammo wise all the boxes I have are US production. And I have fired a few rounds from them in my pistol to see if I had issues that way, and so far running them that way has been fine. In fact, my pistol mag is loaded with a bunch of the light primer strikes right now as they work fine if I put them in my pistol. When I get the light strikes the firing pin is much more visible at the rear of the bolt, almost as if it is hanging up and the indent is very light, so I've come to the conclusion it is something in the pin or bolt, not the ammo.

I do really like the stock, as someone had put some time into it. Beginning to think the owner did the work before doing much shooting, ran into issues and decided to send it down the road. Hoping that it won't be an issue regarding the warranty if I do send it in.

If I do send it in, any suggestions on who to contact? I've seen several e-mails mentioned in other threads, or should I just start with the warranty/customer service page on the website?

Thanks again.

Mookie,
Try ty@armscor.com or shawn@rockislandarmory.com

Blackie
By Mookie
#15195 So I comtacted Ty and he sent a prepaid label to return it for repair. About 4 weeks later I recieved a new rifle at my door. The new rifle has a serial number over 14,000, and it has a scope base tapped and mounted. The refinished stock from the rifle I sent in was also returned.

Did a light cleaning and test fired several groups. Appeared to be a shooter, so cleaned it up, swapped out the stocks, and fired some more group's. Looks like it should be a dependable sub moa gun. Had to do a little fitting when I swapped the stocks, but overall the best outcome I could hope for.