Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By digitcontrol
#14992 Good day everyone! I have not had opportunity to take my 22tcm bolt action out for any distance shooting. I recently started looking into scopes that might be suitable for the rifle and some vendors offer mil-dot based on the caliper , velocity, ect... & "bullet drop" at various distances.
How flat does the TCM rifle shoot at distances from say 50yds to 300yds? Anyone here ever pushed rounds out that far? Factory ammo or hand loads ?
Regards Digitcontrol
By dungheap
#14993 Just an opinion, but for all intents and purposes, your .22 TCM will probably be a lot like a .22 Hornet when it comes to reaching out and touching (something/anything). 300 yards is impractical; 200 yards is stretching the capability of the round; 100 to 150 yards is where you can expect some form of accuracy and clean killing power, IF your rifle is accurate to begin with.

I use a 6z21 Simmons 44 Mag Mil-Dot on my .22 TCM, and the mil dots come in handy. If I zero with loads I shoot with LilGun powder, I can use the center reticle; for most other loads, I have to use a couple of the mil-dots to get the group to shoot to point of aim, and that's at 100 yards.

This caliber is not recommended for elephants, even at close range. yaeh am not durnk
By digitcontrol
#14994 Darn, I am being over run with Elephants & Rino"s here in Nebraska. I guess other means need to be employed for those pest.
Being that I have no experience, maybe you or someone else could tell how 22 magnum rounds compare for distance against the TCM.
I picked up some Lil' Gun this weekend and plan on loading it with both some factory pills & some 34gr Midway usa Dogtown pills.
Whole subject came about after talking with a fella who lives in the area and works for Shepard Scopes, got me thinking of a better optic at some point.
By APRock
#14995 I loaded up some 35g Nosler Varmagedons over 9.5g of Lil' Gun. Average velocity was 2740fps. Zeroed 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. Punching all that into my handy dandy ballistics apps/programs gives us this:

At 200 yards velocity is 2021fps, 0.2 inches high, energy is 317.5ftlbs
225yds - 1941fps, -1.6in, 293ftlbs
250yds - 1861fps, -3.9, 269ftlbs

Getting to the point where a clean kill is difficult. The key to the small projectiles is the high velocity causing massive and instant expansion upon impact, thereby causing a lot of internal damage and a clean kill. Any slight gust of wind is going to throw off that little pill. Nice that you can reach out that far with those little bullets but for me 150 yds is going to about my limit depending on the size of the prey.
By earlwb
#15074 The .22 TCM cartridge has maybe a 25 yard to 50 yard range advantage over the .22 Winchester magnum Rimfire cartridge. The .22 WMR was good out to maybe 125 yards tops. So the 22 TCM would be good out to 150 to 200 yards or so. The main advantage of the 22 TCM is that it can be reloaded. You can use better bullets for better long range accuracy. The factory blunt nose bullets are not very good for accuracy or long range.

Maximum accuracy requires one to use sharp pointed, hollow point, jacketed bullets with a boat tail. But cartridges with long bullets may not work in the rifle, unless it is loaded in a single shot fashion, as the cartridge may be too long to fit into the magazine.

Longer ranges require one to use the ultra high velocity .22's, such as the .22-250, .220 Swift, and so on. Wind plays havoc with the little .22's. Thus using their super speed advantage, the bullets get to the target before the wind affects them too much.