Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By MK111
#14931 I just made a deal on a AR in 22 TCM using modified M1 carbine modified magazines. The rifle comes with a 20 & 30 modified magazine.
I'm sending my RIA rifle back for a full refund. The bolt lift shooting factory ammo is almost a 2 handed operation.
Looking forward to a fun rifle.
I sold all my 22 Mag rifles and hopefully the 22 TCM rifle will replace the 22 Mag with more velocity and better bullet designs at less cost reloading the.
By dungheap
#14932 Hm-m-m-, that must be quite the design innovation for those mags!

What's the barrel twist rate?

Sounds like fun, if it's accurate and if it functions. Keep us posted.
By MK111
#14935 It has a 9 twist 16.5" barrel. He shot 47 gr Berger bullets for function testing to develope the rifle. He is a commercial reloader. He'll be sending me the load data and OAL measurement.
By MK111
#14936 TheARguy has conversion kits available using the 30 M1 Carbine magazines.
By dungheap
MK111 wrote:It has a 9 twist 16.5" barrel. He shot 47 gr Berger bullets for function testing to develope the rifle. He is a commercial reloader. He'll be sending me the load data and OAL measurement.

If you're looking to save money reloading the .22 TCM, you won't do it with Berger bullets. Did not know they made a 47 grainer either. FWIW, try the Midsouth 34gr Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets. Reasonably priced, accurate in the .22 TCM behind LilGun, best with a nearly full case. Work up carefully!
By MK111
#14953 My mistake he used 46 ge Berger bullets. The rifle is on way to my FFL now.
By dungheap
#14955 That's even more curious -- I don't see a 46 grainer in their listings either. Goes from 40 to 52. No big deal. Maybe he used 46gr Winchester bullets. Who knows? I still stick with the idea of using the lightest bullets for better velocities.
By MK111
#14961 I picked up my AR 22 TCM rifle today. Man this rifle has a tight chamber as I had to push the case shoulder back couple thousands for the round to chamber fully.
Loaded 45 gr Hornady V-max bullets long to make the loaded round fill the magazine and still be off the riflings.
All rounds chambered, fired and ejected OK.
Loaded some 55 gr SP but since the bullet is a fatter design compared to the 45 gr V-max the bullet hit the riflings. More work on this design. I have 1000's of 55 gr SP left over from my PD shooting days. But if they don't work out there is always the 223's to shoot them in.
Too hot to be outside too long today. So will continue this weekend with more loadings.
Once I get the max loads figured out and accuracy is OK I'll get the velocity figures on the chronograph.
This is going to be a fun rifle to replace my 22 Mag rifles I sold already.
Going to pick up some 35 gr V-max bullets to increase velocity.
By dungheap
#14963 My rifle is a single shot Savage, and I got my best velocity by a long shot with LilGun. AA #9 wasn't bad, nor was N110. LilGun performs well with the 35gr V-max and both the Hornady and Nosler lead free lightweights, and the Midsouth 34gr Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets. I tried various 40gr bullets. The accuracy wasn't bad, but the velocities were much slower. LilGun seems to be at its best with a nearly full case in my rifle.