Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By APRock
#14892 10th wedding anny. Wife wants a big ole "Rock". OK. Well then I am going for "Rocks" as well. Picked up a new RIA 1911 a2 mid size, high cap with both barrels from my dealer down the street. I also grabbed a used RIA 22TCM BA rifle off of Gunbroker. Still had enough "credit" to get a few hundreds rounds to go with them...

First time out, first round through rifle, felt a little rough closing the bolt. Took the shot, worked the bolt, no extraction. Take peek. The extractor is broken off! Aw Crap! The design of the extractor is very similar to my Browning Buckmark, however the Buckmarks is more robust. This RIA extractor failed right where one would expect it to. At the "transition" where the square lug that goes perpendicularly into the bolt meets the long hooked lobe the parallels the bolt. VERY thin metal here.

Well, emailed RIA (Armscor Support) to see if they could send me an extractor. Pretty easy fix. They said NO. Got to send in the entire weapon. BUT, not to worry, it's all covered. Now, wait a sec, this is a USED gun. The warranty follows the gun! So, all it's costing me is the tape I used to close up the box. Very impressed with the Customer Service. Hopefully I'll be just as impressed with the rifle, once I get it back.
By APRock
#14913 Well, if it is anything like the pistol, I am going to be one happy camper! I have the Mid sized double stack, Shoots like a dream with either barrel. I didn't even have to adjust the sights. That's a first for me with ANY gun I have owned - except maybe the shotguns and birdshot.
By APRock
#14957 Got the rifle back a couple weeks ago. It was fixed and test fired. Wasn't cleaned, but it is working fine. Took it out a couple times and I definitely need to work up some loads. Factory ammo stinks! The average group of 5 shots had 3 acceptably close and 2 fliers. The chrony data showed a max spread of nearly 200fps on many of these groups. Also a large percentage of high pressure signs - stiff bolt, flattened and cratered primers, etc.

I also noticed while examining brass, that my rifle chamber is somewhat larger (longer) than my pistol barrel chamber. Even after sizing the brass fired in the rifle would not chamber in the pistol barrel - had to be trimmed. Pistol fired brass did fit the rifle chamber.
By dungheap
#14958 Sounds like you have issues with one or the other, or both firearms. Full length sized cases should chamber in anything unless they are stretched way beyond spec, and that usually does not happen on one firing. Probably a good idea to keep rifle fired and pistol fired brass separate, at least until you figure this out.

With the group sizes you're getting it sounds like you got yourself a... eh, what are those yellow things that are about the size of a small orange?? omg
By 1911SHOOTER
APRock wrote:Got the rifle back a couple weeks ago. It was fixed and test fired. Wasn't cleaned, but it is working fine. Took it out a couple times and I definitely need to work up some loads. Factory ammo stinks! The average group of 5 shots had 3 acceptably close and 2 fliers. The chrony data showed a max spread of nearly 200fps on many of these groups. Also a large percentage of high pressure signs - stiff bolt, flattened and cratered primers, etc.

I also noticed while examining brass, that my rifle chamber is somewhat larger (longer) than my pistol barrel chamber. Even after sizing the brass fired in the rifle would not chamber in the pistol barrel - had to be trimmed. Pistol fired brass did fit the rifle chamber.

APRock,
Are you using the factory ammo marked "ARMSCOR Precision" or marked "ARMSCOR USA"?
The precision stuff is made in the phillipines, and is not reliable per my experience. The ARMSCOR USA
however, is very reliable in my HI_cap TCM. It is made in Stevensville, Mt, USA.
Don't know what to tell you about the variations in your chambers. Might be a good question for
Shawn Fairbairn . shawn@rockislandarmory.com Shawn is the gunsmth there in Nevada.
Blackie
By APRock
#14960 I had heard there were quality/performance differences in the Philippine vs USA ammo, however; all I have is of USA manufacture. Works fine in my pistol. 200fps differences at typical pistol ranges don't have near the impact as 100yd+ shots. The slight over pressure is somewhat mitigated by the action operation but you can still tell when you fire a hot one.