Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By Richard/SIA
#14073 Not sure who makes Amscor primers but I have confirmed that some modern primers are exceptionally soft so may give misleading flattening.
I will no longer use Winchester mercury free primed rounds in any of my firearms as they are so soft that every round appears to be overpressure.
Changed brand and no more indication of overpressure in the same guns.
By Jeremy B 19131
#14236 In addition to the stuck cases, I had one primer blow out of the pocket. Isn't that clear proof of pressure getting too high? I am trying to decide if this is a gun issue (I have the rifle, not the pistol) or an ammunition problem.

I haven't shot it a lot, but the first box of 50 rounds I had something like 8 or 9 stuck cases plus the blown primer. I switched to a different box from a different lot number and shot 5 more, with one stuck case. I gave up after that. Accuracy was pretty good for just getting started, 20 shots within 4 inches at 100 yards. Hoping I can get the stuck case issue straightened out, because I think I'll really like the gun and round.
By MANual_puller
#14251 How'd you have a primer blow out of the pocket with a bolt action rifle? I've seen it on semi-autos but not a bolt action. I have seen rounds nipple or blow a hole where the firing pin struck when loaded way too hot...
By Jeremy B 19131
MANual_puller wrote:How'd you have a primer blow out of the pocket with a bolt action rifle? I've seen it on semi-autos but not a bolt action. I have seen rounds nipple or blow a hole where the firing pin struck when loaded way too hot...

Maybe it was just a loose primer that fell out when I was finally able to open the bolt. What else would cause a primer to be dislodged other than high pressure? It didn't fall out of the pocket during loading of the magazine or chambering. Either way, the primer was loose in the action when I opened the bolt. After reading many other posts about the jamming bolt, there is still no clear answer to the question, Is it the gun or the ammo? Guess I'll get in touch with Armscore/RIA to get it sorted out.
By PommyB
#14414 My guess is it's the ammo. Both factory & reloads (4227, 2400, & Lil'Gun) were causing sticky bolt lift & hard extraction in all three of my TCM rifles, & I was blaming the rifles.....I started using A1680 powder a few months ago & all signs of extraction problems have disappeared.
By Rangemaster1
#14415 I was having rounds jam in my custom Remington 22 TCM. Both factory and reloads. There was no indication of over pressure, but they all stuck in the chamber. Long story short, the bolt was not contacting the camming surface at the end of the bolt lift. It was fifty thou off and not touching until the end of the lift. I tig welded a hump of metal on the receiver so the bolt would cam over on lift. End of problem with all loads.

Rim fire rifles usually don't have a camming surface to assist in removal of fired brass, it's not necessary. My guess is they need to add that feature to eliminate the sticking brass problem. JMO
By Rangemaster1
#14422 sick The camming area on the bolt is at the very top of the of the bolt opening just before you would pull back on the bolt. I've included a picture of my Remington 7's receiver area where I added the metal. I also included pictures of a Savage bolt showing the cam area because it's more descriptive. You will see the bolt just before it engages the cam in pic #2 and after engagement in pic #3. I hope all the pic come out.

By Rangemaster1
#14424 For some reason, tiny pic won't upload the other pics.?????