Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By Benchrest30
#13664 Just got a 22TCM rifle and got it out shooting for the first time yesterday, noticed that I was having some over pressure issue with factory ammo, case swelling and flattening of primers primarily and couldn't get consistent groups, best I was able to to at 150 yards was around 2 inches, has anyone had any problems with factory ammo?
By earlwb
#13672 Yes, many of us have run into that issue already. But yeah my rifle is hard to open and extract a factory loaded round too. I found that if I reload, then using a lighter load, the bolt opening problem is alleviated quite a bit.

I got to thinking about it more over time and it may be the bolt action rifle design itself. The camming angles on the bolt and its lugs may be the problem. That tends to make it harder to open and extract the spent case. Since the semi-auto pistols are not having problems with extraction of the spent cases, that leads me to think that it is the bolt action rifle design of the bolt and its lugs as having the issue. When I look at the rifle, the design reminds me more of a .22LR or .22Mag bolt rifle design. So maybe the bolt design is the issue.

I think that they use a small pistol primer and that tends to make it look like it is overpressure to some extent. So it is hard to trust the primer appearances. I noticed this with my reloads using small pistol primers. I don't see the overpressure signs with small rifle primers. Since the cartridge is loaded to higher chamber pressures, likely closer to that of a .223 Rem, a pistol primer would show signs of overpressure then.
By Benchrest30
#13673 That makes sense, I noticed the primers and minimal case bulge but it wasn't enough to be concerned with damage, I do feel that it was effecting accuracy to a point, I know in some other rifles and calibers not holding a good group being scattered is a sign the load is to hot I haven't started reloading for tcm yet was trying to see if it was a rifle I was going to like and it was great for a factory/factory combination I could maintain basically every shot in a 20 shot string inside a 5 inch circle at 200 yards so I'm going to pursue making it a consistent sub-Moa rifle
By PommyB
#13683 "When I look at the rifle, the design reminds me more of a .22LR or .22Mag bolt rifle design. "

That's exactly what it is, remember the Squires Bingham Model 1500 .22 magnum rifle?
By Steiner
PommyB wrote:"When I look at the rifle, the design reminds me more of a .22LR or .22Mag bolt rifle design. "

That's exactly what it is, remember the Squires Bingham Model 1500 .22 magnum rifle?

That's what I thought too.....right down to the barrel with a twist rate for a 22LR. Think they just repurposed their already existing 22LR rifle. I don't think sub-MOA is possible without going to maybe a 1:9 barrel. Thought about picking one of them up but realized it would be just as aggravating as trying to use my AR accurately with only a 22LR bolt conversion kit......that led to building a dedicated 22LR upper.
By dungheap
#13770 The Savage I "built" uses a 9 twist barrel, and if I were to do it all over again, I'd look for and buy a 12 twist. This is mainly because I like using the lightest bullets available to generate good varminting velocities. A faster twist would be OK for heavier bullets, slow velocities and rainbow trajectories, if that's what pops your cork. JMO
By earlwb
#13800 I would also agree that the factory rounds are loaded more hot too. This works Ok in the pistols. But in the rifle it pushes the bullets much faster though. That may be the problem with the short round nose bullets in the rifle. The bullets may be exceeding their design speeds. Thus reloading the rounds to be at about the same muzzle velocity out of the rifle as compared to a pistol with a 5 inch barrel may be the way to go. Thus 2,000 to 2,100 fps out of the rifle might be the sweet spot. If I remember correctly, the 22 TCM factory ammo is going something like 3,000 fps in the rifles. So that might be a problem.
By MK111
#13962 I shot my early #41* rifle today for 1st time with factory ammo and it was too hot to. Bolt lift was tough.
Going to load up some Hornady 40 gr for single shot rounds and see what the difference is.
By 1911SHOOTER
Benchrest30 wrote:Just got a 22TCM rifle and got it out shooting for the first time yesterday, noticed that I was having some over pressure issue with factory ammo, case swelling and flattening of primers primarily and couldn't get consistent groups, best I was able to to at 150 yards was around 2 inches, has anyone had any problems with factory ammo?

Benchrest30,
2 inches at 150 yds? That is a great start. My old Remington 700 .243 shot 1" at 200 yards.
But I never shot a deer that far except once. Keep at it, and I bet you will soon have a tack driver
at over 200 yards. Let me know when You get there, and I think I will go down and get a new
.22TCM Rifle and a divorce the same day! :<{
Blackie