Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By Rangemaster1
#13880 So I finally received my reamer for the build. Finished the barrel today. Next will be the stock work. I need to open the barrel channel and pillar bed the receiver before it will be ready to shoot. Here are some pictures of the progress. I'm still trying to figure out the picture posting thing.

Threading the barrel.

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/23lmceo.jpg[/IMG
Ready to chamber using the micrometer reamer stop.

Measuring to determine final headspace cut.

By 1911SHOOTER
Rangemaster1 wrote:So I finally received my reamer for the build. Finished the barrel today. Next will be the stock work. I need to open the barrel channel and pillar bed the receiver before it will be ready to shoot. Here are some pictures of the progress. I'm still trying to figure out the picture posting thing.

Threading the barrel.

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/23lmceo.jpg[/IMG
Ready to chamber using the micrometer reamer stop.

Measuring to determine final headspace cut.

Oh my God, I just had an orgasm!
By earlwb
#13943 That is looking great. I can't wait to see the finished rifle. It ought to be a great shooter.
By TOU
#14042 Great looking build...I look forward to hearing about the final results.

My buddy had one built that turned out pretty well. I was luck enough to buy it from him in a moment of weakness. It's turning out to be an even better investment than I initially realized & will likely never leave my fold.

Mine is a built on CZ 527 American .223, 22" 1:7 Lilja SS barrell, CZ Sunset Laminate stock, shaved bolt handle, Calhoun single shot adapter & of course the CZ Single Set trigger, topped with CZ rings & a Nikon Monarch 6.5X20 scope. Seems to be performing pretty well with factory ammo but have mostly hunted with it....shots flat & straight to the lasersed 100-125 yard head shots on PD's & rabbits that I've made. Haven't had the time or circumstances to really ring serious accuracy it of it yet. I think my fast twist barrel may be adding to its destructive capabilities & still maintaining stability.

I'm still looking to make mine a reliable repeater though so started playing with my CZ Badger magazines last week. I think they or my .221 FB mags will be the ticket to feeding as a repeater eventually. That said, I will have to order the smaller magazine-well parts as mine has the larger .223 magazine & well...or add a spacer to the well permanently. (I don't like that as much even though Jim Calhoun tells me it may work.)

Best of luck with your rifle...looks to be a sweet one. Cheers,

TOU
By Rangemaster1
#14223 Well guys, I finally got er done. The following pictures will show finished product and some shooting results after testing many loads. I learned several things about the little round which I'll expound on in some detail.
U
The reamer I was sent and used turned out to be a "match" reamer and was very tight. I first started with factory 22TCM 9r. They all chambered easily and fired with no problem. Every one of them caused the bolt to be very difficult to open and extract the brass. My reloads, which were trimmed to the same length as factory, also jammed. A close examination of the brass indicated a shiny spot on the end of the necks of almost all pieces of fired brass. OAL of the factory cartridge drawing show the measurement of 1.025. The chamber reamer cut the chamber to 1.031 OAL. The fired brass was measuring 1.031 to 1.035. Back to the drawing board. Also, I've sent the reamer back to PTG for a redo. I did not order a "match" reamer. I'll rechamber when I get a better reamer.

I trimmed all my new brass back to 1.015. That eliminated the jamming problem. After firing, the brass OAL measured 1.021/ 1.023. Obviously there is a lot of stretching going on with the fired rounds. I would recommend all reloaded brass should be trimmed back to at least 1.020.

I moly coat all bullets i shoot in all my rifles. In the TCM, I'm shooting 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades. They are not match quality, but as the pictures show, they do fairly well ar 100 yards. As an aside, they do under an inch at 200 yards. Definitely minute of squirrel. I'm using Lil' Gun. I started at 10.0 gr and worked up to 12.4 in .3 gr intervals. As yet I haven't gone any higher than 12.4. The crono'ed velocities are very respectable for such a small round and so little powder. Using factory AP brass with WSR primers, 12.1 grains gave a velocity of 3285/3242 fps. 12.4 = 3328/3296 fps.

I purchased 300 rounds of LC brass from Sleeping Giant. In my tight chamber it won't go in. The brass is about .003 larger in diameter at the neck and requires turning down to .015 wall thickness.
I'm still testing those loads. With a new reamer, I won't need to turn neck so much.

You'll notice a new bolt handle on the rifle. Much better than stock.

By dungheap
#14224 Very, very nice!
I had issues with almost all the brass I formed from .223 cases in my el cheapo Savage build initially. I agree with the 1.020 trim length, and I ended up getting a Lee sizing die body, had it shortened and removed everything that would touch the case neck/shoulder area, basically a homemade body die. That worked. I also neck reamed every reformed case after firing. Also created a homemade neck sizing die, and resize only about 3/32 inch of the case neck. Case stretch disappeared. Beyond that, I think you're loading a little hot, which may be adding to your issues. JMO. Try the Barnes 30gr Varmint Grenades if you can -- very accurate. 40gr Z-max work well too, but slow.

Most of all, please keep us up to date with your results, good or bad, and for those working with the factory rifles, approach everything with great caution. Huge caution.
By Rangemaster1
#14227 I really haven't seen any pressure issues yet. The brass stretching was equally bad with the factory as with the reloads. I haven't had a chance to reshoot any of the original brass as yet. It seems, regardless of powder weight, the new brass stretches about .005", + or minus a thou or two. The primers aren't flattening any more than factory, but who knows what kind of primers they're using. I'm going to get a bushing die and ream out the body so it only does the neck. Soon I intend to increase the powder charges to find max load. I think I'm pretty close as it is. The factory is loaded to about 40,000 psi for the pistols. That's a magnum load. For the rifle, 55,000 would be safe if all things are in good condition. The Lake City brass should be able to handle that with no trouble. We'll see.
By Rangemaster1
#14307 More info on the rifle build.
Remember, shooters, I'm playing with a custom built rifle that is designed to handle anything up to short magnum rounds. It's NOT an Armscor rifle. My rifle can handle pressures up to 60,000 psi safely, so DONT even consider putting anything like what I'm describing in your factory rifle OR pistol.

I loaded some rounds to test for pressure limits. I measured the rim of factory fresh, unfired brass as a baseline. I'm using Lil' Gun powder with WSR primers and 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades that I Moly coat using the "tumble wet" technique.

I loaded 12.1 as a base because I know it is a safe load. Then I went up three grain intervals to 13.0 grains which fill the case to about the junction of the neck and shoulder. I seat the base of my bullets to that junction. I didn't want to go any hotter because I would be compressing the powder and I'm not comfortable doing that.

There were no pressure signs. The primers were a bit flatter than the lighter loads, but not much. The cartridge bases of all loads expanded .001/.0015. The 13.0 loads were no larger. In short, the hot load, although not as accurate as the 12.4, was safe in my rifle and did not indicate excessive pressure.

Factory loads are not very accurate, but they would certainly do a number on a critter. The accompanying photo shows the results with factory stuff compared to the custom loads. As yet I still haven't shot any once fired brass. I still have a bunch of virgin stuff to go thru first.

Happy shooting guys. I hope this is somewhat helpful to someone.

By dungheap
Rangemaster1 wrote:
Factory loads are not very accurate, but they would certainly do a number on a critter. ]

You, sir, are incredibly kind!

I would say that ammunition would tend to leave a lot of wounded critters able to crawl into a hole and suffer.

Sorry, but I tend to call crap, crap.