Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By earlwb
#7597 I wonder how the conversions for AR 15's to use the 22 TCM are coming along.
Modern Weapon Systems was supposed to come out with the ION, but I haven't heard any more about it. Since there are some 9mm carbines out there though. It would seem to me that someone would have a conversion for one to 22 TCM. But I haven't seen one yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urXCGNXJs3M
By dred
#7604 I agree that it should not be a difficult conversion to accomplish. But, I can't wrap my brain around a reason to shoot 22 TCM from a platform designed around 223/556. It sort of strikes me in the same places 40 short and weak in place of 10mm for pistols.

22TCM is not cheaper to shoot than 556. 22TCM is not ballistically superior. 22TCM is not quieter. And, I don't believe 22TCM is a more effective SD or HD round than 556.

So, I predict we will see the conversion available sometime after 22TCM is an inexpensive, mainstream caliber with decent availability.
By earlwb
#7605 Yes that could be quite correct. But since the AR platform supports so many other calibers, thus having the 22 TCM on it, is simply adding another choice to the list.
By Toolman
#7618 I look at an ar conversion differently. I have used my ruger 10/22 magnum for closer varmints out to about 200 yards. Since rimfire is scarce, expensive and non-reloadable I look to the tcm in an ar as a replacement in my short range battery. The one Lamar technisch and I are working on is gas operated and will allow more flexibility in reloading options. Im going to travel back to Holland soon to hopefully work out the last few details.
By earlwb
#7677 Yes I have those same thoughts about a center fire version of a .22 magnum or even .22 LR. The .22 Magnums now cost as much or more than some center fire cartridges do. Trying to use reduced power loads in a .221 Rem Fireball, .223 Rem or a .222 Rem doesn't work all that well. The infamous barrel ringing phenomenon could occur. The .22 Hornet is another choice though, but not for semi-automatics. Some of the obsolete rounds would work, but they don't make ammo for them now (219 Zipper, etc).
By earlwb
#8002 Yeah, I actually like it as it is sort of a modern .22 Hornet. But it has a rimless case design. Plus one could fabricate cases using a .223 Rem case if needed. So it can handle higher chamber pressures than the Hornet can. The smaller case capacity means we can load it down for slower bullet velocities (cast bullets for example) more easily than the larger case rounds can be loaded down.
By redcaddy51
#8003 yes, a 22TCM would be a hoot, on an AR platform, but ever since I got my Savage AXIS rebarreled in 22 TCM, I like it better as a medium range varmint bolt gun, (head shots on crows and squirrels mostly)

OTOH, I'm spending a stupid amount of money on a 7.62 X 25 suppressed, gas operated, upper...

Paul
By earlwb
#8010 That is pretty neat. A 7.62x25mm AR 15 conversion. it would be a hoot to shoot too. But I can see trying to find berdan primers would be a big problem. Since the Russians wound up with trade sanctions, no one has any berdan primers to sell now. The brass regular primer cartridges are expensive, as you noted already.
By wood chucker
#9362 I can see the reasons why a fella would want an AR in .22TCM. The concept of the truck or tractor gun using the same ammo as the trail gun on your hip goes way back to the frontier days and it's just as valid now as it was then.