Discussion regarding rifles chambered in 22 TCM
By ss355
#12783 I have a 9" AR barrel on order from Tim at thearguy.com to use on my Blackout SBR lower. I already have PPS43 mags and a mag adapter from Tim that I used for my 7.62 Tokarev AR conversion. Unfortunately, the Tok conversion never ran well for me, so I lost interest. That cartridge just doesn't have the gas volume nor pressure to run an AR reliably without a lot of tweaking. The TCM runs slightly higher pressure, and the bore diameter to case volume ratio is more suitable to cycling an AR action. I have high hopes that this upper runs like a champ.

I get what a prior poster said about the TCM vs the .223/5.56. It's underpowered, no quieter with a suppressor, and is more expensive to shoot. The allure for me is simply a gun that's a hoot to shoot. The recoil on the Tok conversin, when it ran, was quite minimal; I expect the TCM conversion to be even less. For shooting steel target or just plain plinking, I think the TCM will be a blast. I didn't get the interest in the TCM until I shot my brother's Armscor 1911. Now I get it, and I'm hooked.
By wood chucker
#12844 Like ^

FWIW comparing a .22 TCM rifle to a .223 rifle is like comparing the M1 Carbine to the M1 Garand rifle apples to oranges.

IIMHO a TCM AR carbine and the M1 Carbine fit the same role as the FN P90....PDW.
PDW fills the gap between rifle and pistol. More power and range and steadier to aim than a pistol but lighter and less bulkier with less blast and recoil than full on fighting rifle.

Whats also cool about an AR in .22TCM is you can shoot it and train with it at indoor pistol ranges where a full on 5.56 AR is verboten.

I double dog dare someone to re barrel a Sig MPC carbine to .22 TCM.

Bonus points since the TCM uses half the powder of the 5.56 handloads make for cheaper shooting.
By akwxmn
#13145 I am playing with a 22TCM AR barrel with a Glock style lower. I'm using TCM9R Armscor ammo. I've had to tweak the round angel in the magazine to get them to chamber. So far the only real problems I've had is a bad lot of TCM9R ammo. Barrel is from Thearguy.com.
By knowolive2000
#13540 Did anyone reply with a source of 22 TCM ARs? I'm looking for someone who has made a 22 TCM AR with a 9 mm lower using Glock magazines. Do you think 22 TCM 9R will feed reliably from a Glock magazine into an AR? I've tried to contact folks at thearguy.com already. Thanks.
By earlwb
#13944 The .22 TCM9R was developed to go with the Armscor .22 TCM conversion kit for some of the Glock models. So it should be perfectly fine in the 9x19mm Glock magazines.
By Steiner
akwxmn wrote:I am playing with a 22TCM AR barrel with a Glock style lower. I'm using TCM9R Armscor ammo. I've had to tweak the round angel in the magazine to get them to chamber. So far the only real problems I've had is a bad lot of TCM9R ammo. Barrel is from Thearguy.com.

I see he only lists a DI barrel for TCM. I assume this is a lugged barrel and you're using the 5.56 bolt?

I've got a Glock lower AR-9 from PSA which is blow back. Thinking about checking the bolt face diameter of the hybrid 9mm bolt in it to see if it's tight enough to use TCM. If so I might see if he can do a blow back barrel for TCM which might have easier chambering. From there it would just be fooling with the buffer for any cycling issues.
By akwxmn
#14270 I used a 9mm Bolt and a blow back barrel. After getting the system to cycle and fire every time I sent the barrel back to the ARguy to be ramped. There is a long jump from the magazine to the chamber and I thought a ramp might improve things. Had a bad lot of factory ammo. Necks breaking off and sticking in the chamber. Had one round go off in the chamber. Bent the upper and blew my magazine to pieces. My reloads chambered, fired, and ejected just fine. I haven't tried a TCM9R since. I think next time I'll go DI and a 5.56 bolt.
By Steiner
#14271 Thanks a lot for that info. I'll ask him about a DI lugged barrel. Will check my 5.56 bolt for function in the Glock lower, maybe put the 5.56 upper on it and see how things look.

Your reloads....Are they 9R size or regular TCM? Since starting to look into this I made a list of the shortest .224 bullets I could find topossibly purchase and see if any could be loaded to 9R OAL. If I can't load 9R I don't know if I'll even look into the AR much more though, not at $18 a box.
By Turbocavy
#14273 I have a barrel from Heavy Metal and am loving it. 16" 1 in 14 twist. Shoots factory 40grs under an inch at 100 yards. I shot a bird at 152 yards(in a brisk wind) off my bipod the other day while I was groundhog hunting.
I'm very impressed with the terminal performance of the factory bullets on birds and am wanting to see what it does on bigger critters.
I'm working on finding some good reloads for it with other bullets but haven't found its sweet spot. 9r bullets don't like to feed in mine.