Forum discussion regarding pistols chambered in 22 TCM
By Ed Ames
#2454 Hi everyone...

I have a problem with a 4.25" double stack convertible. Specifically, it cannot feed any 9mm ammo. This is one of the VZ models with ambi safety, rail, and full length guide rod.

I have tried three different (TCM) magazines. I have tried FMJ, TC, and JHP ammo. In every case the cartridge will not tip up at all. It stops with the bullet tip against the feed ramp and case back against the slide. Re-racking just sets the bullet deeper into the case.

I suppose I should contact RIA and let them sort it out, but shipping is a hassle. If there is an easier fix I'd just as soon learn and DIY.

Thanks!
By MANual_puller
#2456 Actually shipping with them is super easy. When mine went in for warranty work, which is what this would be, they emailed me FedEx shipping labels to print off. I used a zip-lock bag to tape it onto the box and dropped it into a drop box. Didn't cost me a thing other than time away from my little fire breathing dragon on fire

One thing you can look at, I noticed with my old one that both cartridges would tip down but the 22TCM would feed reliably because it is a longer cartridge and is starting into the barrel when it tips. Rack the TCM slow and you may see the tip of the bullet dip and rub the bottom of the barrel as it goes in. Maybe opening the lips of the magazine will get it up higher to feed better, idk. Never got a chance to try that with my old one since it was replaced under warranty for a different issue and they did the reliability tune up on my new one before it left the factory plus it has the newer para/clark style ramped barrels.

Armscor can fix it and will likely do so free of charge. They are relatively hassle free to work with in my experience. :D
By k9frog
#2461 I would listen to manual puller , My 22tcm has the minor problem of the bullet rubbing against the feed lips outer corner, Its like they didn't remove enough metal, Which in turn the bullet will hit the bottom of the feed ramp, But on my gun its not enough to stop the bullet from feeding, So ill probably just file the corner off one magazine and make sure that it works correct .
By MANual_puller
Ed Ames wrote:Hmm...well, I just sent them an email. I guess I'll see if they respond that way.

That's how I corresponded with them. I would be surprised if you don't get a reply within 24 hours. Best of luck!
By Ed Ames
#2467 Less than 24 hours. :) They asked for details in preparation for sending a FedEx label.

Re: the feed lips... My concern is that these same magazines successfully feed 9mm in my 5" gun. I don't want to tweak them for one gun at the expense of the other.

Thanks!

Both of my HC TCMs have frame mounted ramps. My single stack has the para style barrel mounted ramp. The single stack MS is new (only been to the range twice) and I haven't tried it in 9mm config. I suppose I should.
By Chumly
#4125 I had the same problem with .22 TCM/ 9 mm midsize double stack that I bought this summer. Fed TCM flawlessly but would not feed 9mm at all. Neither original nor after market .38 super magazines would feed. The gun was a new enough model to have the new smaller RIA logo on the slide.
Sent it back to RIA. They replaced the gun with no questions asked.
The original gun had a very small frame ramp and no barrel ramp. The 9 mm rounds were jamming nose first, straight into the small frame ramp. The replacement gun has very nicely ramped barrel.
Have about 500 rounds down the new gun with 0 problems.
By MANual_puller
#4154 They replaced my first one as well. The ramped barrel versions are hands down better than the first production run with colt style barrels.
By Bigjayste
#4218 Think I may have to send mine back, FTE issue is still there. How long did it take to get your gun back? I was hoping it would fix its self during break in because Ima miss her TT TT
By MANual_puller
Bigjayste wrote:Think I may have to send mine back, FTE issue is still there. How long did it take to get your gun back? I was hoping it would fix its self during break in because Ima miss her TT TT

I was quoted 4-6 weeks but it took 8 weeks to the day. Hopefully yours goes quicker. I did get a fantastic weapon back though. Good luck!