Forum discussion regarding pistols chambered in 22 TCM
By DanM1
#14860 My TCM will lock the slide open on the last round. Happens more often when set up for 9mm, and does it with any magazine. I replaced the slide lock lever with an extended Wilson, hoping that the extra weight would help, but no joy. I have heard that this problem is related to a worn recoil spring. Replacement springs will be my next step, but need to know which weight to buy. Can anyone tell me for sure what the factory 9mm and TCM springs are rated at? I have the standard 5" target model. I know one other TCM owner that is having the same problem. Hopefully someone out there has had this problem and found a fix. Thanks....DanM
By pmiya
#14861 If I read your post correctly you are trying to "fix" the slide stop so it doesn't lock back after the last round is fired. If the slide is locking back after the last round the pistol is functioning correctly and as designed.
By 1911SHOOTER
pmiya wrote:If I read your post correctly you are trying to "fix" the slide stop so it doesn't lock back after the last round is fired. If the slide is locking back after the last round the pistol is functioning correctly and as designed.

If DanM1 is in fact complaining that his semi-auto 1911 locks open on the last shot, I would suggest that he
take a firearm safety course before he harms somebody, or himself.
Blackie
By mbogo
#14863 Your 1911 SHOULD lock the slide back on an empty magazine.

mbogo
By DanM1
#14864 You guys are too much! I think my query was worded correctly, but perhaps I need to be more descriptive. With all my magazines, the slide locks back with the last round still present, unfired and unchambered, still sitting on top under the feed lips. If the pistol was functioning normally I would not be asking for advice. I think it a bit rude to assume someone is a dumb beginner without asking further questions. For your info I used to travel and compete in IPSC events, I own a small collection of ten plus pistols, and have an FFL. I also have some 30 years of reloading experience. I don't want to be too sensitive here, but I am no novice pistol handler....
By digitcontrol
#14876 DanM1, glad to hear of your experience with firearms & reloading. I also mistook what you tried to communicate and adding ("with a round") in the magazine would have prevented the misunderstanding.
Now to the problem at hand. With no mag in the pistol if you invert the gun and rack the slide does the slide stop drop and lock the slide? If so problem with detent (needs more depth of detent notch, or plunger tube, spring not providing enough pressure) look for issue's.
If it does not fall and lock the slide when racked upside down then remove the slide, load a dummy round (preferred) into the magazine, leave the slide off, but put the slide lock back into the lower frame and insert the mag with the round. Take notice if the round rubs the end of the slide lock lever that protrudes into the mag well . It should clear the round but still stick out far enough that the portion of the mag follower which activates the slide lock still works. If it rubs the round you need to remove just enough material from the contact end to clear the round.
Most of the time its this later issue.
If it was occurring at random rounds I would say operator error (thumb bump) but since on last round only I would be looking at the mag follower relationship to the lever interface.
Hope this helps
By bsoppet
#14877 Digitcontrol has given you a good road map in which to trouble shoot your problem. I experienced your exact same problem and traced it down to the mag follower engaging the slide lock lever prematurely. I solved the problem by filing the lip of the follower a little at a time until the last round would feed reliably and still lock the slide back after last round is fired. BTW, I have the 22TCM double stack.
By pmiya
#14885 Now I understand, I had the same issue with the slide locking back with one round in the magazine. As I recall I filed down the portion of the magazine follower that contacts the slide lock. You have to be careful not to remove too much material or it won't lock back when the magazine is empty. I would file a small amount then test the magazine with one round in it.