Forum discussion regarding pistols chambered in 22 TCM
User avatar
By TcmMinnesota
#13307 Hello fellow TCMers. 2 weeks ago I saw a used 51680 on the local stores shelf.I immediately purchased it.

Last week I took it to the range and ran 100 rounds of mixed 9mm through it.It ran flawlessly,I like it.It shot about 4 inches low but I wasn't going adjust sights yet.The grips are crap so I ordered some Hogues for 17 dollars.I will maybe try some Stoner G10s later.It has bushing compensator on it and while it looks kind of okay,it leaves some barrel play. I will order a new barrel bushing and try to tighten up the barrel.

On Monday 250 rounds of Armscor Precision and 250 of USA arrive at my door.Today I went to the range to try the 22tcm out.14 rounds of Precision,then another 10,no issues and sights were closer on the 22.I loaded another 10 rounds and the first failed to extract,the next round was trying to get into battery before the spent on was out.I decided to switch to the Armscor USA ammo but experienced the same issue.

I will try to get a message to RIA tomorrow but in the mean time any ideas someone wants to throw out would be great.
User avatar
By 1911SHOOTER
#13311
TcmMinnesota wrote:Hello fellow TCMers. 2 weeks ago I saw a used 51680 on the local stores shelf.I immediately purchased it.

Last week I took it to the range and ran 100 rounds of mixed 9mm through it.It ran flawlessly,I like it.It shot about 4 inches low but I wasn't going adjust sights yet.The grips are crap so I ordered some Hogues for 17 dollars.I will maybe try some Stoner G10s later.It has bushing compensator on it and while it looks kind of okay,it leaves some barrel play. I will order a new barrel bushing and try to tighten up the barrel.

On Monday 250 rounds of Armscor Precision and 250 of USA arrive at my door.Today I went to the range to try the 22tcm out.14 rounds of Precision,then another 10,no issues and sights were closer on the 22.I loaded another 10 rounds and the first failed to extract,the next round was trying to get into battery before the spent on was out.I decided to switch to the Armscor USA ammo but experienced the same issue.

I will try to get a message to RIA tomorrow but in the mean time any ideas someone wants to throw out would be great.


TCM Minnesota,
Try changing out your recoil springs, I heard one guy had that problem, swapped the springs and fixed
his feed problem. He had a 51680 to. That is what I have.
Shawn's email is shawn@rockislandarmory.com. He is the head gunsmith.
Blackie.
User avatar
By MANual_puller
#13318 The TCM spring should be the lighter weight spring. It's pretty easy to feel the difference when you compare them. TCM tends to like a clean chamber, especially important if the round count is low. With my 51680 it'll usually run fine throughout a whole range visit without cleaning. If I set it down for an hour after 1 shot though I had better clean it first. The powder burns a little on the dirty side and my theory is that it picks up some moisture when it sits dirty.
User avatar
By 1911SHOOTER
#13321
MANual_puller wrote:The TCM spring should be the lighter weight spring. It's pretty easy to feel the difference when you compare them. TCM tends to like a clean chamber, especially important if the round count is low. With my 51680 it'll usually run fine throughout a whole range visit without cleaning. If I set it down for an hour after 1 shot though I had better clean it first. The powder burns a little on the dirty side and my theory is that it picks up some moisture when it sits dirty.


MANual_puller,
That is one hell of a good theory! I never heard that before, but It could also be the cause of rust in the firearm.
I will keep that in mind. I have noticed that a lot of the new powders burn dirty. My Rem R51 shoot so dirty that
I have to dang near soak it in Hoppe's to get all the soot off. I have noticed too that the TCM likes a good
solid slide lock or it has a tendency to not stay open after the last shot if it is not clean.
Blackie
User avatar
By TcmMinnesota
#13322 This morning I striped the slide and verified it was indeed the lighter Tcm spring correctly installed.I scoured the barrel with a brass brush,lubed things up and reassembled.

Around noonish I went to the range.Using the USA flavor of ammo I ran 5 then 10 then a failure to extract on 16th round.All in all I ran 80 USA then 30 Precision then some more USA.Probably 150 rounds total.I had less than 12 failure to eject and also had 3 fail to go into battery.After each ejection failure I could hand cycle the rest of the magazine without any issues.

It's 25 degrees with 12 inches of snow on the firing line so I am not going to mess around with internals at the range.It may just need some more break in.I will compose an email to Shawn at RIA this weekend for some ideas.I really like this sidearm and it will probably get more 9mm use than 22,I just need to get the 22 bugs out of it.

I really don't see any difference yet between the USA and PRECISION flavors of ammo but may just order USA only due to some comments I have seen online.Thanks for the information guys.
User avatar
By 1911SHOOTER
#13323
TcmMinnesota wrote:This morning I striped the slide and verified it was indeed the lighter Tcm spring correctly installed.I scoured the barrel with a brass brush,lubed things up and reassembled.

Around noonish I went to the range.Using the USA flavor of ammo I ran 5 then 10 then a failure to extract on 16th round.All in all I ran 80 USA then 30 Precision then some more USA.Probably 150 rounds total.I had less than 12 failure to eject and also had 3 fail to go into battery.After each ejection failure I could hand cycle the rest of the magazine without any issues.

It's 25 degrees with 12 inches of snow on the firing line so I am not going to mess around with internals at the range.It may just need some more break in.I will compose an email to Shawn at RIA this weekend for some ideas.I really like this sidearm and it will probably get more 9mm use than 22,I just need to get the 22 bugs out of it.

I really don't see any difference yet between the USA and PRECISION flavors of ammo but may just order USA only due to some comments I have seen online.Thanks for the information guys.


Minnesota,
I think you might want to send your TCM back for evaluation. My first weapon had a problem, (light pin strikes)
and I sent it back to Armscor. In o month, I had a new pistol and it is flawless.
Here is Ty's email. ty@armscor.com He helped me many times.
Blackie
User avatar
By TcmMinnesota
#13324 Thanks Blackie. I did have my caliper out and measured the 22 barrel and the ID of that compensator bushing that is on it.There is 3 hundreths difference so there is some play.That may be enough to cause some issues.I will look at Midway for a tighter standard bushing or order a factory one this weekend.
User avatar
By TcmMinnesota
#13329 Image Here it is with the compensator that came on it.The factory bushing wasn't in the box.I will get a standard bushing on it before I have to start dealing with RIA customer service.
User avatar
By Steiner
#13332 Just looking at the grips, it appears it may be an earlier serial number. I do not know very much about the history but do know at some point they stopped using the grips with just a round dot (Para logo removed?) and started using ones with the RIA cannon logo.

That leads me to this which could possibly be an issue: They also originally provided both a TCM and a 9mm extractor which required change out, however now the extractor is a multicaliber one (out of stock of course at Advanced Tactical). My 2xxxx SN standard HC uses the single extractor and had crossed cannon grips. Here are a couple of threads with some info extractor issues that can arise:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=448833
" As you are probably aware, the 5" TCM's came with two extractors; one for the .22 TCM cartridge and one specifically for 9mm. As I and several others discovered, the 9mm extractor would not reliably pull the TCM shells from the chamber, resulting in the failures you described. However, the hook marked "TCM" would yank both cartridges without hesitation. My measurements indicated that the base rim of the TCM case was thicker than a standard 9mm case at the same point. At some date last year Armscor ceased shipping TCM combo's with the 9mm extractor, only the TCM version. I have had no trouble with this extractor, my only stoppage was the result of a fired case swelling itself to tightly in the chamber to be pulled by anything (a brass rod down the barrel and few solid taps with a mallet finally got it out). I will be very interested in what Armscor says about your problem and the remedy they propose."

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=456909
"Our 5" TCM Standard and Target combo models should come with the 9MM barrel, recoil spring, and extractor.

We strongly recommend switching out extractors between the calibers as the extractor tension is different between the 9MM and TCM. If you run a steady diet of 9 MM through the TCM extractor the tension for the TCM will change and lead to feeding issues."


*Note: I have read somewhere about someone "retuning" their extractor after some issues, i.e. bending it.