Forum discussion regarding pistols chambered in 22 TCM
By smoke23
#12247 I have not visited the forum in a long time so sorry if this subject about the ammo is old news. I have had my target version for several years and have fired thousands of rounds thru it. The gun was built by Fred Craig and for the most part has been an awesome shooter. The one thing that always annoyed me was rounds sticking in the chamber. It finally got so bad that I contacted Fred and sent him my complete upper for inspection and hopefully a fix. Got it back yesterday with info saying he had reworked the extractor and welded and reworked the barrel hood for a better fit and lockup.
One very surprising thing he said was to lube all factoru ammo with Hornady one shot before firing it.
Very curious if any of you folks do this or have heard of doing it.
By MANual_puller
#12249 Lube shouldn't be necessary. There are several other bottleneck cartridges that run fine without lube. If it "works" it's masking the problem and not addressing it.
By dungheap
smoke23 wrote: ...
One very surprising thing he said was to lube all factoru ammo with Hornady one shot before firing it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You have got to be strokin' me!! And this comes from the Head Kahuna? I wonder what RlA's marketing people have to say about that. By all means, let the comments roll in, 'cause this one is a real doozie IMO.
By 1911SHOOTER
smoke23 wrote:I have not visited the forum in a long time so sorry if this subject about the ammo is old news. I have had my target version for several years and have fired thousands of rounds thru it. The gun was built by Fred Craig and for the most part has been an awesome shooter. The one thing that always annoyed me was rounds sticking in the chamber. It finally got so bad that I contacted Fred and sent him my complete upper for inspection and hopefully a fix. Got it back yesterday with info saying he had reworked the extractor and welded and reworked the barrel hood for a better fit and lockup.

I have noticed that Armscor International, made in the Philippines will occasionally swell in the chamber
causing a FTE. However, Armscor USA, made in Stevenville, MT works in my .22TCM hicap just fine.
Goes bang every time all the time. Ammo Warehouse list both types. Ty has told me that they are
looking at the problem. My 9MM Armscor has not caused an issue so far. In fact, my 9MM conversion
shoots anything I put in it. I used every piece of crappy 9Mm I had left over in my range bag
and then started on different brands. So far, nothing I have tried has a problem. This is one tough shooting
9MM. It is my carry gun. My Baby Rock is my backup. I don't care about the weight, it gives me a sense
of security. But then I have carried a 1911 since I was 21. (60 years)
Blackie
By 1911SHOOTER
MANual_puller wrote:Lube shouldn't be necessary. There are several other bottleneck cartridges that run fine without lube. If it "works" it's masking the problem and not addressing it.

MANual,
I agree with you. I am surprised that Craig said this. See my comment on Armscor International Ammo.
Blackie
By MANual_puller
#12269 Yeah, I'm also surprised Fred said that...... Seems odd. Mine is a beast too with 9mm. It eats anything without complaints. Both calibers really shoot well other than the sporadic FTE issue with TCM. My TCM was flawless all summer but now that it's cold outside even my reloads aren't 100% anymore..... I don't understand how temperature would make a difference especially after a few shots.
By digitcontrol
#12273 One thing I've found is chamber spec's can be different between manufacturers on 9mm. I check all my reloads with the Sammi gauge and those that do not drop in and out get set aside. Of those that did not pass the gauge I have "Plunk Tested" in various barrels chambers of 9mm pistols I have (Diamondback DB9, RIA/TCM & Ruger SR9C..) , those rounds would not plunk test in anything other than the Ruger which seems loose fitting compared to RIA & DB listed above.Knowing that 9mm is tapered case probably causes some variations among gun makers , but it appears some more than others even when its not a proprietary round like the TCM which I Plunk Test all reloads & factory ammo to verify fit & head space.
Perhaps a little paranoid but had a KaBoom once with 9mm and have been more cautious since.
By Pakn1911
#12275 I had a kaboom also with my MS TCM 9MM barrel but it was with one of my hot reloads. I haven't had any problems with factory loads except it does not like any of the self defense flat nosed ammo. I have tried the Ruger ARX by PolyCase and they run like a top. I now carry them in my MS as my carry pistol. I do not understand why ammo makers can't make self defense ammo in the shape of the FMJ like PolyCase so they will work in all pistols. Guess they know better than I do. grrr

TM
By smoke23
1911SHOOTER wrote:
MANual_puller wrote:Lube shouldn't be necessary. There are several other bottleneck cartridges that run fine without lube. If it "works" it's masking the problem and not addressing it.

MANual,
I agree with you. I am surprised that Craig said this. See my comment on Armscor International Ammo.
Blackie

not only said it but added "always" I use only the US made ammo after getting the Phillipine stuff by mistake one time. Lots of FTE.